• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunny with headtilt

becky963

Warren Scout
Ok so some of you may know about my Mitsu who developed a head tillt a few weeks ago. She has been treated, but her head its still sideways! But she manages to eat and drink and be a normal bunny etc! They were outside in the shed, but I brought them in when it happened, and they've been confined to a pen. We've decided to keep them in as house buns now and have been bunny proofing the living room. I'm just a bit worried about Mitsu having so much space as she does roll over sometimes and I'm also worried that she might hurt herself? We also have laminate floor down in the living room which I don't know if they'll like. There is a big rug in the middle though.

My Kermit was a head tilt house bun. He rolled a lot to begin with, then as time went on it got less and less, but there were still times that he did roll. He always managed to right himself, and he did get himself into some tricky situations through rolling.....like rolling beside the sofa and getting himself half lodged under it!

I would say that she probably find it difficult on the laminate, but the rug should be fine.

I think that letting her have space should be fine, as long as there is not anything that she could hurt herself on or break if she does roll.

Oh, and to add, well done for giving her the chance to continue while being a wee squinty head bun :)

Space is really good and important for a head tilt bunny to help with their recover. Are you also giving her physio? Because in conjunction with each other they can make a huge difference. Heat also helps the neck and head so the warmth from being indoors will help too.

It's ok if she is rolling as long as she can't hurt herself, trap herself, etc. I definitely agree with Kermit about a rug and not having her on laminate flooring. She won't be able to get her grip properly.

It will be much better for her inside, so I think it's a really good thing to do for her :)

My bun Mimi was a head tilt bunny. She doesnt roll atall now and her head has pretty much righted itself completely (im sure regular neck and back massages helped with this) but she is still abit wobbly and not confident atall on my wooden floor, unlike my other buns. I have interlocking foam mats on the floor for her which she seems to feel more secure on. I cant remember the website for them now, best google it! I also use bath mats instead of rugs in her main space, they dont look great but theyre easy to wash and dont move easily :thumb:

At first when Mimi was still rolling occasionally I boulstered all of the walls and skirting with rolled up towels :wave:

Back