• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hurt Leg & not eating.

holder

Alpha Buck
Pepe hasn't ate anything today at all and hasn't used his litter tray. I had no idea what was wrong with him. I thought it might be the snuffles but he hasn't sneezed at all. Then I noticed him holding his left leg a little of the floor. He was still moving around ok. I called the vet and took him at tea time. The vet checked his lef all over and said his bones are fine and there isn't and no swelling. The vet gave him, one injection of, (Painkiller) Metacam 20ml,
one injection of, (For the guts) Metoclopramide 10MG/10ML
one injection of (Antibiotic) Marbocyl 20ML

He nibbled a tiny bit of a piece of apple but nothing since. He is now holding his leg a little of the floor again. The vet said the pain killer would work for the next 24 hours and even longer!

I have some Fibreplex left and I am going to use it now, but is there anything else I could do? I am worried with him still holding his leg up!
I think he must of jumped onto his box and jumped of landing on his left leg.

I hate to see him like this :(

How worrying :( I hope he starts eating soon and the leg problem is nothing serious. It couldn't be a VHD vaccination reaction, could it? Sending lots of vibes for Pepe xx

I am not really sure what to post . . did the vet xray him?

he will need more painkiller today and more gut motility when the others wear off so you will need to see a vet again today.

Jacob bunny hurt his leg once (think he slipped getting in/out of litter tray) and it took him ages to recover. he had an x-ray and no bones broekn but must have puled something as he was very tender with it for ages. he later got arthritis in that leg.

Pepe needs to be restricted in terms of space so his leg can rest. No jumping, racing around etc. Can you reduce his space and check that the litter tray is easily accessible and no slippy-a whole newspaper at the bottom of the tray could help. Jacob NEVER used a litter tray after his experience!

Keep him warm too.

He could have sprained or pulled something so may need painkillers for a few more days. If his pain is controlled then hopefully his eating will be better. The usual lots of nice nibbles-herbs/veggies/grated apple etc to tempt him would be advisable.

Essentially think of how you'd cope if you sprained a muscle. Rest, warmth and pain relief for a few days and see how things go. It may be a week or so til he feels better but if there's no break he should ultimately be fine.

Hi, no it's not the VHD. I think he might of jumped of his carrying box! He as been an house house since last Oct, a year ago when his bother Billyboy took ill. I have a cardboard box with a phone book inside for him to rip up plus the carrying case I use to take him to the vets in. That all I can think off. There is nothing else he could jump from. I had a good look after coming back from the vets last night and noticed on of his toes were very pain to touch. I was up most of the night watching him and gave him some food in a syringe. When I got up this morning he had a job putting his paw to the floor. He had ate a strawberry, some basil and a part of ear of corn. There were a few poops but very small.

I took him back this morning and the vet looked where I told her and he was in pain :( She gave him an injection of Vetergestic and some Metacam to bring home and to start that tonight for about a week. Trouble is, Metacam does have an effect on Pepe. It doesn't really suit him. The vet said that she could tell there is no broken bones but thinks it could be an airline crack. If that is so there is nothing they can do at all. It's just time! Since we have been back he I gave him another syringe of food and now he is sitting in his litter tray and eating hay. He started on some basil again but not really doing anything. I have made a small space for him so he doesn't jump around. I am watching him all the time. I am so thankful he is eating a little hay and know he is on the mend :)

I cannot believe the prices they charge for out of hours fees. It really is bad, but where would we be without them!
Fingers and toes are all crossed and prays keep coming out of my month. I just hope someone is listening to me :lol:

You're doing really well-he's got the treatment he needs and now it's just patience-time to heal. Don't overworry, he's got pain relief and he's eating-it doesn't have to be masses-food is food. Why doesn't metacam agree with him? Generally as long as he's eating metacam is pretty safe. As with all meds there's side effects but the vet wouldn't prescribe if she felt he wouldn't cope with it. If he continues to struggle to eat it may be advisable to consider asking for some metaclopramide and ranatidine for his tummy. Just try eveything you can foodwise to tempt him-my guys love all the herbs-parsley, corriander, mint, dill and of course carrot tops, spring greens, pak choi etc. Can you find some dandelions? They're usually a good bet-from a 'clean pesticide free' place. Then make yourself a cup of tea and grab a biscuit and have a relax yourself!

You don't need to watch him all the time-he's fine. Both of you need to relax and have a rest. Even in people a broken toe cannot be treated and is just strapped to another with pain relief provided!

Just keep him in a restricted place, keep providing scrummy things to eat, give the meds as advised and in a few days things will be alot better I'm sure.

Yep, vets cost a fortune but our guys are priceless!

You're doing really well-he's got the treatment he needs and now it's just patience-time to heal. Don't overworry, he's got pain relief and he's eating-it doesn't have to be masses-food is food. Why doesn't metacam agree with him? Generally as long as he's eating metacam is pretty safe. As with all meds there's side effects but the vet wouldn't prescribe if she felt he wouldn't cope with it. If he continues to struggle to eat it may be advisable to consider asking for some metaclopramide and ranatidine for his tummy. Just try eveything you can foodwise to tempt him-my guys love all the herbs-parsley, corriander, mint, dill and of course carrot tops, spring greens, pak choi etc. Can you find some dandelions? They're usually a good bet-from a 'clean pesticide free' place. Then make yourself a cup of tea and grab a biscuit and have a relax yourself!

You don't need to watch him all the time-he's fine. Both of you need to relax and have a rest. Even in people a broken toe cannot be treated and is just strapped to another with pain relief provided!

Just keep him in a restricted place, keep providing scrummy things to eat, give the meds as advised and in a few days things will be alot better I'm sure.

Yep, vets cost a fortune but our guys are priceless!

Thank you so much for replying. You have made me feel better :)
I have just been and picked some dandelions and some willow from the tree. He isn't bothered with it just yet but he is smelling it lol
For some reason when he's been on Metacan, he stops eating! It upsets his tummy. This Vetergestic did the trick and that is stronger then the Metacom! I set up the cage I brought last year for Billyboy but with no roof or bottom on it and made a small enclosure for him so he can rest.

I dread to think what would happen without our vet. Theres been a few times I've wanted to give them a big kiss for taking their pain away :wave:
Thanks again x

No worries-it's just so nice to hear how much you care for him.

Metacam can be potentially iffy if they're not eating, so just do your best with food. I'm sure he'll feel better soon. You couldn't do more for him that you are-your love jumps off the page. He's feeling a bit sore and fragile but he'll be racing around and getting up to no good soon enough I'm sure!:) Do let us know how he gets on.

Aww thank you for your kind words. But I just had to come and let you know, he's eating the dandelion leaves. Now I'm smiling :D x

Back