• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT - Another rabbit fight with blood. Opinions please.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
:cry:

Leo and Lois were in the run today, I came out and noticed a fair few clumps of fur lying around but they were both flopped out near each other. I checked them over, put them back in their hutch and went inside when I heard a load of banging, went outside and they were both going for each other. Luckily within 30seconds I'd managed to separate them but poor Leo has a bite wound on his nose. :( It's bled but it's not a major wound either and he's started eating hay almost straight away. I'm presuming that I won't need baytril/metacam and it will be okay to keep an eye on it?

This is the second time now that he's been bitten and had blood drawn by two different rabbits and I just don't know what to do for the best. I've obviously separated them for now but I need to make the decision on whether to reintroduce or not. If not, I might be having to take Lois back to rescue. Already burst into tears at the thought as I'm her sixth owner and I feel like I'd be failing her to take her back. It just seems unfair on Leo to make him "suffer" needlessly. They've never been a "lovey dovey" couple, don't really groom each other, don't sit cuddled up etc so not really sure whether they'd miss each other. Leo was terrified of other rabbits after his first incident but with very slow bonding he came round to Lois. They've been bonded for over a year now and they do sometimes have episodes of fur pulling or humping but not enough to cause concern .... until now.

What do you think the best thing to do is? And just to note I don't feel it would be fair to have them both separate as the size of their accommodation wouldn't be up to par so it's either a bonded couple or Lois will have to go :(

I would check for wounds again in a couple of hours. It is easy to miss a fresh wound, but they quickly start to harden up and become more obvious.

Whilst the bite on his nose may look superficial you do need to keep a VERY close eye on it as sometimes there is damage done within the nostril which can abscessate.

033-8.jpg

034-3.jpg

As for bonding. Firstly do you know what may have set off the fight ?

I would check for wounds again in a couple of hours. It is easy to miss a fresh wound, but they quickly start to harden up and become more obvious.

Whilst the bite on his nose may look superficial you do need to keep a VERY close eye on it as sometimes there is damage done within the nostril which can abscessate.

033-8.jpg

034-3.jpg

As for bonding. Firstly do you know what may have set off the fight ?

Thankyou for that, I'll have a look over him again in an hour or so. Hopefully I managed to react quickly enough to prevent anything drastic happening bar the bite to the nose.

With regards to what set it off I don't have a clue. At one stage we let them free range but the space proved too much and that would set them off on the fur pulling, so now they are sadly kept to the run which is 9x8ft, at first it did seem too much space as well but we reduced it and gradually increased it until there was no more fur pulling. When I went out to round them up they seemed content in each others company. Lois hopped up to the upstairs level of their hutch then came down and that's when it started. No loud bangs that would have spooked them, no chance other rabbits around to upset them ... I really don't know which is the bit that is worrying me. :?

bif n bertie had a bun marriage that incurred bif attacking him least once a day......never knew why....she eventually got hospitalised with gi stasis following a dental....when she came home he rushed to greet her and she attacked him for 24hrs we tried..then we took her upstairs to stay.

some buns have a love hate relationship and the slightest thing can set them off.

i know how you mean about suffering.....melrin and phoebe were bonded successfully and we had snuggles...but also humping..into third week i think..they had a spat under nikkis bed..but it got worse..and i had to force them apart..and decided to take the worst step..seperate rooms.....

lily was free ranging my room..shes so mad that phoebes living in the same room.

i guess bunnies get moody like we do...not sleeping well..or a problem the check at the vets may have missed or since developed......combined..=unbonded bunsters.

i hope you can get things sorted. We got phoebe then lily..lilys more merlins age and loves people and fussing..phoebes shyer and more jumpy. merlin chose phoebe himself....

i once tried with him n lily and me in the pen..within a spilt second they were fighting tooth n nail...i couldnt pull them apart....got one by the bums in mid air and managed to wedge a broom head in the way but lily turned and still bit me on my knee:oops:

id never try lily with nother bun..shes way too territorial....but adores the cats company as does phoebe..

has anyone been :oops:to visit...strange smells or overpowering smellls on peoples clothes can do it..crazy but true.

if the rescue cannot help you sort the problem out.....then you will have to give her up.....or have her as a seperate bunny.:(

Thankyou guys been up all night thinking about what to do. I could technically speaking have Leo as an indoor bun in my room but I only have a box room so I there's hardly enough space as it is.

I've just found two bite wounds in his ear as well. One has gone right through. I think the decision regarding rebonding has been made. It's not fair on him :( x

i know exactly where you are coming from:(

can leo have exercise time on the hall stairs landing AND your room?

maybe bring them both in to see what happens..new smells new territory may fix it....but with bif n bertie it never did:( yet when salem our cat:( dropped dead..bif ran to bertie and cuddled him for comfort....i probably could have tried..but sadly she died a few weeks later anyway.

i wish i could say something constructive in a positive light....maybe others on here could help you by taking them away from their area and rebond? or like i said...leo is becoming a housebunny.

i wish you the best..and hope the problems soon sorted one way or another.x

Back