• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in garages

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
We are looking to move house asap, and have arranged a few viewings. The problem is with finding a house that is affordable with a decent size garden.
A lot of the ones we have looked at have an internal garage, and we are considering the possibility of having the rabbits in the house with us, because I don't want to have to downsize their accomodation.
My hypothetical plan so far is to have them in the garage, with the door to the garage from the house left open, with perhaps a baby gate or mesh put up, and then let then free range in the house supervised when we were home.

Does anyone else do this, any potential problems I've not thought about??

The animals are a big priority when choosing our house so I want it to be just right for them, rather than fit them in later!!

Just consider fumes from cars in the garage - they can affect the buns - if you plan on keeping a car in there.

I think it will be ok - as long as they get access to some natural light in the day - hopefully someone else will come along with a second opinion though to reassure you.

I think it will be ok - as long as they get access to some natural light in the day - hopefully someone else will come along with a second opinion though to reassure you.

Yes, that's why I'm thinking I could leave the door open from garage to the house, so they could get light in from the house, and they would still get garden time and free range time in the house as OH will be working from home all the time anyway.

If you're leaving the door to the house open in winter you might find you lose a lot of heat that way as garages aren't insulated well.

If you're leaving the door to the house open in winter you might find you lose a lot of heat that way as garages aren't insulated well.

Ah yes, good point, thanks. Though I'm sure its insulated better than the house we're in now! Its also a three storey house so the rabs would be on the ground floor, living areas above.

I've thought about doing this too - I'd also think carefully about security - most garage doors are fairly easy to break and if you're leaving the door between the garage and the house open then it would be very easy access.

I've thought about doing this too - I'd also think carefully about security - most garage doors are fairly easy to break and if you're leaving the door between the garage and the house open then it would be very easy access.

Very good point too, thankyou :)

for the last few years, each autumn when the weather gets really bad, my buns go into the garage, more for my benefit than theirs

but they love it as long as they have all that space to themselves and not cooped up in a hutch

I kept a low energy lightbulb on all the time for them (10watts) and they don't seem any worse for it

in spring and summer, they spend all their time in the garden to make up for it

the benefits are immense for me, I pop over to see them whenever I get 2 mins, they have become so tame because of the constant interaction, I even check on them first thing in the morning in my dressing gown

the cold wind blowing into the garage can be a pain, but you can erect a simple temporary windbreak inside with some cheap plasterboard and wooden batons

when it was cold enough to snow, I didn't need to worry about water bowls freezing

if you are worried about security, do what I did and pile a load of old furniture against the garage door so that it obstructs anyone trying to open it

for the last few years, each autumn when the weather gets really bad, my buns go into the garage, more for my benefit than theirs

but they love it as long as they have all that space to themselves and not cooped up in a hutch

I kept a low energy lightbulb on all the time for them (10watts) and they don't seem any worse for it

in spring and summer, they spend all their time in the garden to make up for it

the benefits are immense for me, I pop over to see them whenever I get 2 mins, they have become so tame because of the constant interaction, I even check on them first thing in the morning in my dressing gown

the cold wind blowing into the garage can be a pain, but you can erect a simple temporary windbreak inside with some cheap plasterboard and wooden batons

when it was cold enough to snow, I didn't need to worry about water bowls freezing

if you are worried about security, do what I did and pile a load of old furniture against the garage door so that it obstructs anyone trying to open it

Ahh great reply thank you!!

In the medium term, if the house has an external wall (rather than a wall which joins straight to the neighbours) you could consider putting a window in. It probably wouldn't cost as much as you'd think, it's not a hugely difficult or big job, so that might also be worth considering if the right property comes along :)

Back