• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 3 rabbits

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
I have Jake and Jasmine who are a pair and Hazel. Hazel was neutered nearly 5 weeks ago. I have been worried about upsetting Jake and Jasmines bond so over the past week I have gradually moved Hazels run abit nearer to Jake and Jasmine.
Hazels run and hutch are now in Jake and Jasmines run (they have a large run). Jake sniffs Hazel but has showed no aggresion towards her. Hazel hasnt showed any aggression towards Jake or Jasmine - infact she seems to have abit of a spring in her step and seems happier. Jasmine tries to nip at Hazel through the bars. So, I can see she isnt as laid back as the other two.
Yesterday I started putting their food bowls next to each other on either side of the fence and they eat okay next to each other.
Is this looking good?
Obviously the next step would be to remove the fence that is seperating them.
Should I now take them out and put them together in a neutral place to do the final stages of bonding?
Should I leave them as they are for abit longer - if so, how long? The vet said to leave 4 weeks before introductions but I've just read on here that you should wait 8 weeks?

I think 8 weeks is after a neuter just to be 100% sure the buck is infertile.
Personally I would wait another week to make sure any hormones are definitely gone and then bond them, as you say, in a neutral place.

It sounds like it's going quite well with them living next to each other, but characters can change a lot during bonding so be prepared for some scuffles! Even after getting along for the first 24 hours of a bond two bunnies might decide to fight. I think this is why people generally suggest at least 48 hours totally supervised.
I hope it all goes well!

Back