• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving Indoor Bunnies Outside - When?

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all,

I will hopefully be moving very shortly to a bigger place with a garden (yay) and my plan is eventually for the buns to go outside, I actually think they would be happier, my current two are very much rabbit rabbits, if you know what I mean! :lol:

Anyway, the move will be before Christmas, probably early to mid-December, over the winter months they will have the 3rd bedroom but I was wondering when i should plan for them to go out? April?

I'm going to get a playhouse with attached run and I want to try and set it up over the winter :)

Hi there

Yes, April is a good month to relocate your bunnies to outside. My rabbit was a houserabbit to begin with, living in the spare bedroom (he's 10 now!) - I got him at 12 weeks old (November 2001) and he lived in the house until I moved him outside the following April. He soon adjusted and preferred being outside - he's in the shed with a very secure outside living/run area. By April the coldest of weather is usually behind us (although we have had snow some years in April!) so the bunny usually easily adjust to the outside temperature. Personally, I think bunnies are happier outside - lots to see in the garden and they don't mind the cold at all, if anything they hate the heat and centrally heated houses I don't think are ideal for them! When it's very cold in the winter I just give buns a snuggle safe at night and a big straw bed with a fleecey blanket underneath and he's more than happy. As you have two buns, they can snuggle up to each other for warmth as well. Happy moving!

I think it's all going to depend on the weather. Wasnt some parts of the UK still suffering snow in April last year (or did i dream that bit - sorry - i'm still quite off my face at the mo - prescription meds - honest! :oops: ) But the weather is all mucked up but as soon as it gets warmer and 'in old money' April is a good time. It's important not to heat their room and have the window open etc to keep the indoor and outside temps similar.

We've got a weather station that monitors inside and outside temps - this would be dead handy!

Good luck with the playhouse and run set up - it sounds like an exciting project.

Back