• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit hates me - Realy upset :(

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
I have had my maisey for a year in march. She was lovely and loved me loads, then she began not liking me, running way and not letting me stroke or pick her up. Then she became really nice again and would flop put on my and everything. But Then she began to hate me again and still does now. I though it would pass like last time but it hasnt.
Sje will atack me when i go the stoke her, honk and me and lunge at me. When i pick her up she will just run from one end of the hutch to the other really fast. When i go to see her in the run she just tries to launc herself out of the run and has ripped off all her back claws before in doing so. I have tried everythiing, givng treats which she will take off me and sitting in the run with me ! But nothing.
She isnt spayed but will be getting her spayed this year as I have now saved enough money. She is also being bonded abfter er spay to little buddy. I just hate her hating me , i want her to love me like she use to, it gets me so upset to see her like this. Sh loves my mum and my family just not me !

This isn't about you personally, it's about something about you. My instant thought was, in the nicest possible way, what do you smell of (other bunnies? predator such as dog/cat)? Also, how good her eyesight and hearing is and whether or not you approach her differently from how other people do. Also, I would be wondering about your mood too and whether she is reacting to that.

But it's not a thing about you, CharlotteMc, this is something in her that is struggling with something about your presence.

She doesn't hate you, I don't believe they had a concept of hate. I think she sounds scared for some reason.

I can imagine that must be horrible! Maybe her spay will settle her a bit and you can both be happier with each other :? She sounds a bit spooked by something!

She doesn't hate you, she is just being very hormonal which is totally normal for an entire Doe. Spaying will help, but there is a chance that some of her aggressive behaviour will have become a habit. This would need to be addressed should it occur.

This isn't about you personally, it's about something about you. My instant thought was, in the nicest possible way, what do you smell of (other bunnies? predator such as dog/cat)? Also, how good her eyesight and hearing is and whether or not you approach her differently from how other people do. Also, I would be wondering about your mood too and whether she is reacting to that.

But it's not a thing about you, CharlotteMc, this is something in her that is struggling with something about your presence.

She doesn't hate you, I don't believe they had a concept of hate. I think she sounds scared for some reason.

thanks , yes i do have 3 oher bunnies one of the bunnie she doesnt like as he bit her once ? and have a dog but she loves my dog. My mum says that i should talk to them as i approach i tried this and she just reacted the same :(

She doesn't hate you, she is just being very hormonal which is totally normal for an entire Doe. Spaying will help, but there is a chance that some of her aggressive behaviour will have become a habit. This would need to be addressed should it occur.

How could i put a stop to her aggression ? and yes she does seem very hormonal, alot of vets bills have happened earlier this year and thats the reason why her spay was put on hold :/

I dont think she hates you, I agree with Sky-O, it sounds like she is scared. Think back, is there anything, anything at all you have changed in the times she was nice and the times she wasnt? Perfume maybe?

Do you pick her up a lot? You may be making it worse by continuing to try.

When I got Annabelle in April she wasn't friendly, so I tried to make her so. I stroked her as she ate her pellets, combed her mane, and spent a lot of time in the pen with just her, talked to her loads. I also picked her up twice a day for bum checks thinking she would get used to all these things. She didnt. She would run away as soon as I came anywhere near her, even if I just walked in the room. If I picked her up I ended up looking as if I had been mauled by a rapid cat! So I stopped. I stopped doing 'real' bum checks, I used fly guard, trimmed her rear end hair and taught her to periscope for treats so I could have a quick look. And I just left her alone, I would talk to her but I would NEVER touch her. After a couple of months she would come and be near me without being scared, and would come when I called her for treats. And in the last month, a couple of times a week, she puts her nose down when Barney does and she accepts noserubs with him. She actually lets me touch her! But I still dont pick her up unless I HAVE to, and I dont touch her apart from noserubs. edit: I should add that, even though she is no longer scared, Annabelle just doesnt like humans! It's not that she hates me, she just doesn't want me to shower her in affection like Barney does, she's happier if I keep my distance and reserve my love for giving her pellets and treats.

My point is, I think she's scared for whatever reason, and maybe you're trying too hard to be her friend, I imagine you go into it feeling nerves or apprehension as well, and they can pick up on that. It might be best to just let her be. I'm sure a couple of months after her spay she'll calm down a bit.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, this must be very distressing for you. :(

I can sort of identify with how you feel, because for a time my Spenser would relax more when my Mum was stroking him than for me. In this case I worked out that the reason was that my mother never picked him up - only I do that. It's not a problem now, as I am more confident handling him so it is less stressful for him.

Hopefully her spay will help matters, and in the meantime try to be relaxed with her as she might pick up on your anxiety and upset, and react negatively.

thanks for the replies. I dont know if this has anything to do with how she is, but when she was brought into the rescue she was a stray has always been nervous of people picking ehr up and goes really stuff when you do and doesnt move. they thought she is like this from being mus handled from previous owners, could this be anything ! Plus I am the only one who picks her up :/

I dont think she hates you, I agree with Sky-O, it sounds like she is scared. Think back, is there anything, anything at all you have changed in the times she was nice and the times she wasnt? Perfume maybe?

Do you pick her up a lot? You may be making it worse by continuing to try.

When I got Annabelle in April she wasn't friendly, so I tried to make her so. I stroked her as she ate her pellets, combed her mane, and spent a lot of time in the pen with just her, talked to her loads. I also picked her up twice a day for bum checks thinking she would get used to all these things. She didnt. She would run away as soon as I came anywhere near her, even if I just walked in the room. If I picked her up I ended up looking as if I had been mauled by a rapid cat! So I stopped. I stopped doing 'real' bum checks, I used fly guard, trimmed her rear end hair and taught her to periscope for treats so I could have a quick look. And I just left her alone, I would talk to her but I would NEVER touch her. After a couple of months she would come and be near me without being scared, and would come when I called her for treats. And in the last month, a couple of times a week, she puts her nose down when Barney does and she accepts noserubs with him. She actually lets me touch her! But I still dont pick her up unless I HAVE to, and I dont touch her apart from noserubs. edit: I should add that, even though she is no longer scared, Annabelle just doesnt like humans! It's not that she hates me, she just doesn't want me to shower her in affection like Barney does, she's happier if I keep my distance and reserve my love for giving her pellets and treats.

My point is, I think she's scared for whatever reason, and maybe you're trying too hard to be her friend, I imagine you go into it feeling nerves or apprehension as well, and they can pick up on that. It might be best to just let her be. I'm sure a couple of months after her spay she'll calm down a bit.

I was thinking of doing this, but wont she get worse if i dont handle her ?

I'm sorry, this must be very distressing for you. :(

I can sort of identify with how you feel, because for a time my Spenser would relax more when my Mum was stroking him than for me. In this case I worked out that the reason was that my mother never picked him up - only I do that. It's not a problem now, as I am more confident handling him so it is less stressful for him.

Hopefully her spay will help matters, and in the meantime try to be relaxed with her as she might pick up on your anxiety and upset, and react negatively.

thank, you next time i go out to her i will stay calm and positive, but as soon as i get close she just runs :(

thanks for the replies. I dont know if this has anything to do with how she is, but when she was brought into the rescue she was a stray has always been nervous of people picking ehr up and goes really stuff when you do and doesnt move. they thought she is like this from being mus handled from previous owners, could this be anything ! Plus I am the only one who picks her up :/

This may well have something to do with her behaviour, and is all the more reason why you should try not to let it upset you. Unfortunately it may take a long time and a lot of patience to earn her trust, but believe me it will be worth it. :)

When I used to walk up to the run unannounced Luna used to thump and run away so now I call out to the buns before walking up to them so they know i'm coming.

aww :( She DOESN'T hate you!! She's just really hormonal and it is upsetting, trust me I know, i went through the exact same thing with Tink, one minute she seemed to love me, the next she was attacking me. :( I'm sorry you're going through this but I think the spay will defintely change her and she'll act more relaxed around you. :)

i agree with some of the replies....something has changed:? washing powder, perfume, animals, where you have been .....
it could be a smell or something that you could have changed around her.... toys, where something is, her routine...
if its none of the above i would suggest a vet trip as this could be a sign of pain or illness... sorry if it sounds negative but think how people can be when they hurt or are ill...they can take it out on others... i hope its nothing bad ...and it sorts its self out:D

i agree with some of the replies....something has changed:? washing powder, perfume, animals, where you have been .....
it could be a smell or something that you could have changed around her.... toys, where something is, her routine...
if its none of the above i would suggest a vet trip as this could be a sign of pain or illness... sorry if it sounds negative but think how people can be when they hurt or are ill...they can take it out on others... i hope its nothing bad ...and it sorts its self out:D

she is fine in herself eating, drinking, playing and running around. I honlestly cant think what has changed part from a new rabbit ?
as she was the new rabbit at the time and now i have a new one, could this be it ? but shw was like it before the new rabbit came :/

could be.....:?maybe you smell t of the new bun ....did you visit the new bun before you brought them home? maybe shes jealous????

could be.....:?maybe you smell t of the new bun ....did you visit the new bun before you brought them home? maybe shes jealous????

no i brought the new bunny home the day i saw him. one of my rabbits Russell is really aggressive towards other rabbits and has bit maisey a few times through the bars, could it be the smell of him ?

Back