• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Joint update for all myxi buns

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Thought it might be a good idea to gather all the updates on the same thread - will let us compare progress more easily too. Hope Hetty and Happybun are okay with that :wave:

Drusilla update 5pm/14/10/2011 - saw rabbit-savvy vet and she said Drusilla is still very ill but it's good she's made progress re grooming more/hiding away much less/sitting more normally. She thinks the next 3-4 days will be crucial. Drusilla has appointments booked next Monday and Thursday. She is still mouthbreathing tonight but it's much quieter so surely that's a good sign? She's eating less today and has lost a bit of weight - her poor mouth is very swollen - but I've pureed soaked pellets/critical care/chopped herbs etc and she's taking that from a syringe and occasionally helping herself. If only the swelling would start to subside I think she'd eat loads more... :?

How are the others doing?

ETA Dorset George has one slightly inflamed lower eyelid but is otherwise unaffected.

No change in crunchie. he only obviously mouth breathes when i have to pick him up and give him his baytril, Im still giving him wiffs of olbas oil which appears to temporarily clear his nose. He is still eating his hawthorne, hay, pellets (whole) and some mashed with his metacam, he is also eating his greens, I cant see any swelling to the outer of his mouth and am assuming that him eating whole crunhie stuff is a sign that his mouth isnt sore,

heis leaving maltesers accross the living room floor and moves around and finds a place to flop. He is a bit snuffly.
he is still grooming himself even though it makes him more snuffly from the exertion of stretching.

For me whatmakes it worse is that his etes are so sore and swollen :(Its hard to put his eye drops in.:(

Sounds like he's doing really well. I'm not sure when the swelling around the eyes goes down - would be great to find out. Although it looks distressing hopefully it's only temporary. The vet said although D's eyelids were swollen her eyes themselves were fine. I think much of this is a waiting game :?

I'm praying he doesnt deteriorate before wednesday (thats his 12th day) if he does....I wont wait for him get worse :(
Its the no knowing thats so hard :(

Thank you for the vibes. :wave:

Drusilla is on Day 12-15 today and seems, touch wood, to be more like her normal self. She's been hopping round the kitchen more and although her mouth is still too swollen for her to eat normally she took lots of food by syringe and started using her tongue to lick it with - first time since she's been ill. She's been grooming more in the last day or so too. Her mouth breathing is much quieter than it was two days ago. Off out in a min to buy unsweetened pineapple juice, herbs and broccoli plus aloe vera gel. Over and out! :wave:

Vibes for all the other myxi buns...

Crunchie seems to be worse - he is still eating but hasnt flopped last night or tonight is instead sat hunched. His eyes are so sore and his breathing is so snuffly - it does sound like he is struggling :(

I dont know what to do :(

Help :(

Crunchie seems to be worse - he is still eating but hasnt flopped last night or tonight is instead sat hunched. His eyes are so sore and his breathing is so snuffly - it does sound like he is struggling :(

I dont know what to do :(

Help :(

:( The thing my vet said was crucial was whether they were still eating or not. Is he on the highest safe metacam dose already? Would be worthing ringing your vets to find out...

Also is he on the med benning with B for mucus reduction. Bicospin? something like that... Will try to find..

he is on high doses of metacam, and baytril.
he seems to be mouth breathing alot :(

The injection - do you give that or the vets?

I am so exhausted - I know it sounds awful by comparrison to what he is going through but I am. I am giving him full time care - as well as the kittens, the cats Beau and the other buns :( As well s working 1 full time job and another part time job :( That isnt to say I wont continue fighting with him....i'm just so so tired :(:(

he is on high doses of metacam, and baytril.
he seems to be mouth breathing alot :(

The injection - do you give that or the vets?

I am so exhausted - I know it sounds awful by comparrison to what he is going through but I am. I am giving him full time care - as well as the kittens, the cats Beau and the other buns :( As well s working 1 full time job and another part time job :( That isnt to say I wont continue fighting with him....i'm just so so tired :(:(

I think it's called bisolvin and it's not an injection...just checking through Viola-Rose's myxi thread to see...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Officially-Well-again!!&highlight=viola-rose

It's really demanding nursing these buns especially with other commitments. Take care :(

ETA Bisolvin is used with a nebuliser - steam/treatment in a chamber....

Last edited:
I dont ahve a nebuliser :(

I have just come home from work...he ate his pellets but is now struggling to eat....he is mouth breathing and his mouth seems swollen. He is struggling to bite a banana :(:(

I dont know what to do :( My poor little baby :(

Its now been a week :( It was last saturday I noticed his eyes and genitals were a little swollen :9
Now he cant see :(

eta is there anything I can bathe his eyes with other than cooled boiled water?

Last edited:
I dont ahve a nebuliser :(

I have just come home from work...he ate his pellets but is now struggling to eat....he is mouth breathing and his mouth seems swollen. He is struggling to bite a banana :(:(

I dont know what to do :( My poor little baby :(

Its now been a week :( It was last saturday I noticed his eyes and genitals were a little swollen :9
Now he cant see :(

eta is there anything I can bathe his eyes with other than cooled boiled water?

Cooled black tea?

I think it's possible to improvise a nebuliser with poythene sheeting and a travel cage - will try to find out. Drusilla hasn't been able to see for over a week but she finds her way around and the vet says her eyes are okay it's just the lids are swollen. Once her immune system beats the virus the swelling will go down.

I'm glad that Drusilla is improving, but so sorry to see that Crunchie is struggling. Come on Crunchie, keep fighting this. xxxx

Sending loads of vibes for all the myxi buns and a big hug for their carers. You are all doing a fantastic job.

Good News: Crunchie spent the day outside today (well this afternoon) in a puppy pen. The others came and fussed around him (through the pen) whiskey even flopped after a bit not too far away.

Daisy's nodules on her nose are turning black and the one on topsys nose appears to be protuding to fall off (hope that makes sense)
After a while Crunchie started eating the cabbage i'd given him. some banana with metacam and lots and lots of grass and even eventually started to bite into a fallen apple.

I went for a bath, filled it with hot water for me, filled the sink and a tub of hot watre. ventually made steam lol and put a few drops of obas oil into the sink. Didnt seem to do alot, but after a while he did lie down. He's back downstairs now and hopping around eating again :)

Ud:
wen t pick him up to give him his baytril and to try with his eyes with tea - but he was sat scoffing pellets and hawthorne lol - didnt want to interrupt lol. He just seems snotty now hoping the steam has loosened the mucus. Really cant wait to get some piriton tomoz see if that helps even more. Its these good moments with him that I must remember wen he seems a little bad

Last edited:
Hes poor Crunchie:
296035_10150353251879004_508914003_8094752_1633030310_n.jpg

Bisolvon doesn't have to be nebulised, it can be given orally. Santa had a pinch orally daily for about 2 years or more - I used to mix it in with a drop of echinacea tincture or with her other meds or some water and she would just drink it quite happily.

But yes, there's no need for a nebulising chamber; you do need to build up a mist but this can be achieved almost as well by sealing up a small pet carrier as best you can. I made one out of a Tupperware kitchen tub with lid.

Good luck xxx

Oh God,I think Id die if my buns caught this.....:(

Vibes to everybun.and all mummies.
Keep Fighting!! Youre all doing a fabulous job and Dom,your baby is beating it!!! May he continue!!!!

Back