• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two unrelated unspayed females? U/D- Post 10!

Milky&Honey

Warren Scout
Ok, I know that the best pairing for rabbits is female and male, but for reasons I won't go into, I have two female rabbits. They're both babies (one is 11/12 weeks old, the other is 8/9 weeks old, the latter I got two days ago). I am going to get them both spayed at around the same time, but of course at the moment they are too young. I was just wondering, would it be possible for me to bond them together now as they are just babies and aren't going through puberty yet? I know that it is difficult to bond two unrelated females together as opposed to bonding two related females as they don't have the bond from when they're babies. This is why I want to create a bond between them now while they're still babies and haven't started puberty yet. They also both seem so lonely :( I am with them a lot of the time, but when I'm in class, they are on their own. One lives downstairs, the other lives two floors up in my sister's room. So yes, advice please? And any tips?

Last edited:
I've done it before - with a hormonal, unspayed 6 month old doe and an 8 week old doe. Of course, I must stress that this was with my first and second bunnies and years before I knew any better.

They bonded OK - after a little initial chasing and fur pulling. I think it helped that the baby was very submissive. However, you MUST be prepared for any initial bond to break down once puberty hits. Two females of the same age will very likely fight and whilst one may be submissive thus ensuring peace reigns, it's also very likely that neither will back down and you'll have to separate.

So you need to weigh up the pros and cons of bonding them now, prior to spaying, and risking a falling out and re-bonding session, or waiting until they're both spayed and introducing when hormones have settled down and there's been no previous fighting.

Thank you for your reply, Mackers :) How long did it take you to bond the two females, and did the bond last? I will definitely be thinking through all the pros and cons before doing anything.

i had poppy for over a week on her own then a week later had her sister and they got on fine straight away now whether thats cause they can still smell each other with being so young but have you tried them together? the longer its left the harder it may be you can still take them to vets to be done together but be nice to get a bond before but thats just my opinion? with them being young and similar age i have found my two young girls were doddle compared to trying an adult with a baby just wondered if you had tried them together 1st :wave:

Hmm, after considering the pros and cons...I think I'm going to attempt to bond them now! Well not now, now. Honey is still getting used to her new home, I don't want to bombard her with too many new things at once xD Will try in a couple of days :D Wish me luck guys! I shall update this thread with the progress :)

Please, please be aware, ready and prepared to separate them if (when?) they fight when the hormones arrive. They will most likely fight at dawn or dusk, so make sure you can hear them at those times.

I've not found it anymore difficult bonding adult females to each other, than male to female or even male to male. It all depends on the personality of the bunnies involved. When you bond babies, you don't know their adult personalities and they haven't yet met hormones, which is where problems can occur. They may bond now but may need separating and potentially rebonding, but may not rebond, after their spays.

I guess the other worry is of the chance that one might not be a girl. I know that sexing young rabbits can be quite tricky and it would be devasting if this was the case and they had a litter.

I guess the other worry is of the chance that one might not be a girl. I know that sexing young rabbits can be quite tricky and it would be devasting if this was the case and they had a litter.

This is a brilliant point!

Update

They are both definitely girls :D

A little update; today was the day of their first bonding date! Or whatever they're called xP I was INCREDIBLY scared and nervous as this is the first time I've ever done anything like this...After reading some bonding horror stories online, I was expecting the worst! However, both babies seemed to interact as if they have been with each other their whole lives! They were sniffing each other's butts at first which worried me a bit, but neither took it as a threat. There was a bit of grooming going on, mutually. No snuggling yet, but I wasn't expecting anything like that until the 2nd week! There was no chasing, or nipping as far as I could see...They were sniffing and licking each other's butts quite a bit...What does that mean?!

Their "date" lasted for half an hour before I lost my nerve and decided to put them back in their spaces, lol. I'm planning on letting them out for another date tomorrow. I'll also film their next date...mainly so you guys can help me interpret how well it's going but also because they're both soooo freaking adorable together!

All it means (the whole 'date') is that they are babies and acting as babies do :) It doesn't really tell you much about how they will properly bond once hormones arrive, etc.

I'd suggest not putting a time limit on when you want different things to happen because they are in control of that :)

sounds good so far, least they have not got aggressive, hormones will play a part in most rabbits but i found with my boys i didnt have a problem i am hoping i will be as lucky with my two girls they are now 18 weeks old and i am watching for odd behaviour so i can book them in but they still too young and i hope i dont have to separate i have a dog crate on standby though if i do, i would increase the time each day over a week then leave them together overnight thats what i have done when bonding as their 1st date seemed to go well in my short experience that first meet says it all to me Toto did not take to Poppy he went for her now Dorothy :roll: well :roll: he just lurved her :love: they have preference i guess lol just my opinion though keep trying is what i say :thumb:

Back