• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seperating rabbits to feed them

Alicia

Mama Doe
Archie's been eating Izzy's food so I've now had to seperate them to feed them because Izzy is really getting quite thin and Archie's getting a bit too fat. I normally feed Archie in the run and Izzy in the closed in part of the hutch (she's very nervous of people so I thought putting her food where no-one can see her or scare her might help her eat more) Archie finishes his in a few minutes and then Izzy normally leaves the food bowl and hops around the hutch, so I thought she'd finished and I went to get her bowl out of the hutch and saw that she hadn't eaten much. She'd only eaten about a quarter of the amount of food I put in the bowl. I think she prefers to eat her food over the day, but Archie likes to eat his food straight away, so I don't know what to do. I can't leave them seperate for ages because Izzy would probably leave it all day if she could. I left them seperate for 3 hours this morning before I put them back together because I can't leave them seperate all day, and she still hadn't eaten it all. On days I have college I won't have time to leave them seperate for hours, but I'm worried about Izzy getting even thinner.

Last edited:
can you feed them a few times a day?
So on a morning feed her, let her eat how much she wants, then give her it back again when youre home from college, and again at night... so her meals are spread out and she'll only be seperate from Archie for 10 mins or so at a time?

Will she take pellets from your hand? Can you slip her a few each time you go by?

No she won't, she's still scared of people, and she runs away and stamps her foot every time I walk past the hutch. A few days ago I sat next to the run and she came over after a little while and took a few from my hand so I could try that, I think eventually she would.
I could try feeding her a few times a day but I leave for college at 7.30am and get back at 6.30pm so it would be quite a long wait for her for her pellets but she's got hay.

god thats a hard one i just go for trying to give her some before college then after college no point leaving it in all day if archie justs eats it anway :lol:
typical rabbits

Back