• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help, rabbits got together and now injured

I have two unbonded rabbits sharing a divided run. Things where rocky the first time we tried bonding them, 2 weeks after a spay, they would really go for each other. but since its near 8 weeks since the snowdrop was spayed I thought to step up a bit by swapping them to each others part of run. I stayed with them about an hour to make sure it didn't upset them or make them agressive through the wire, but all seemed fine. Just returned to swap them back over only the male managed to jump over the divide (It isn't low and I'm very suprised he squeezed through the gap at top, but there is no other way) and get in with the female. They had obviously fought as there is fur everywhere. They both have a couple of minor wounds, scratch on tummy and bite like wounds near ears.

Firstly as the injuries are not bad do i just clean them up and see how they go? What do I clean them with and do they need to see a vet?

Also has this ruined their chances of getting bonded?
They were calm when I found them, snowdrop was in a corner, floppy approached her and they didn't fight again, then he just hopped off. I seperated them to see if they were hurt.

am really mad at myself for letting this happen.

They need to immediately get veterinary attention, i'd strongly recommend that, even if its only for metacam to ease any pain and inflammation. Also, you often can't see rabbit bite wounds, as they can be very easily hidden by fur etc.

It may have damaged their chances of being bonded, but its not the be all end all, as they did not meet on 100% neutral territory (whcih is where all bonding should be done) there is still a good chance of them getting on.

I would personally keep them 100% seperate, so they cannot see/hear each other and get the vet to check them both over and try a proper bond in ~4 weeks or so.

Back