• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

It never ends-large abscess now-what to do?

bunniesgalore

Alpha Buck
Me again with the continuing nightmare of my dear Milly's health.

First the good news. Milly spent from Friday to Wednesday at the vets but is now all but recovered from the upper respiratory infection. Woah-that was scary, but my amazing girl used her girl power and did good. She had a quick dental on Tuesday just to trim the spurs really. The next dental will begin the treatment David Crossley recommended-to trim all the teeth down by 1 mm.

As if this isn't enough Milly has an abscess :evil:growing under her chin. as someone who simply cannot come to terms with life being so unfair and cruel, you can only imagine how blooming annoyed I feel. My poor girl isn't getting any respite from things.

She's on Septrin and metacam. I took her to the vet again today and got him to give her a stronger painkiller as Mills isn't happy eating today so much as she did yesterday (not tonnes then but not bad). It's grown overnight-as expected. She's also struggling to rest as it's clearly painful and awkward to lie in the normal way. She keeps flinging herself on her side to rest. this painkiller will wipe her out a bit so she can rest and hopefully later eat more.

Back at vets on Monday. basically, view is to remove when sufficiently grown and at the same time do an xray to see why it's happened. Please God not the tooth roots or into the bone after all her fighting. I'm praying it's stress pasterella-understandable, but with her teeth issues it could be a root.

Milly has forgiven me and hops over to lie by me when I pop in to see her. That means so much-to be associated with pain to the extent of having a panic attack when I entered the room was truly heartbreaking. Milly is in 'my guys' room, separated from Rupert who had a panic when he saw her and will need a bit or re-bonding when Mills is up to it. Basil cat is keeping Milly company-they love each other, and Rupert seems suprisingly happy in my room so we're coping well.

Finally, I now have an ear infection and Basil has a bit of an infection in his chest so Rupert's the only one not on antibiotics! We need a break here-we need to get through this and it be 'just' an abscess associated to stress and soon to be a bad memory.

Is there anything anyone can suggest that may help? Are we following the right path? Miracle makers are especially welcomed.....!:)

Poor Milly and poor you. It sounds like you are having a tough time. I hope that when you get the xray done there is no bone involvement.

Back