• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed - best way to syringe feed

Millie had her incisors removed yesterday (she's 2 years old and had root problems), and I have been given food that you mix with water then administer using a syringe. I am finding it quite difficult, and Millie is not getting the amount of food the vet recommended. I understand how important it is for her to eat, so was wondering if there was any advice? She isn't interested in her pellet food which she normally loves, but she did eat a couple of bits of broccoli this morning. Thanks

The way I do it is. Wrap her tightly in a towel making sure all paws are inside and that she can't reverse out. I then sit on the couch beside an arm and put the rabbit on my knee with their bottom at the arm of the chair to stop them backing away. I then take the syringe, lift up the lip at the front with the tip and slide it in the side of the mouth. Then I feed a small amount while they mouth the syringe and stop when they stop for a rest. They are very good at taking it in their mouth and holding it without swallowing and need breaks to get them to empty their mouth.

Hope you manage!

Have you tried putting it in a bowl? My rabbit will lick it from that.

Try not to stress her too much, as this can make the problem worse.

edit: you probably know about trancing but just in case you dont... dont try and turn her on her back to do it, as this will trance her, which is a fear response and very stressful.

Last edited:
I've had some success syringing them on the floor. I kneel beside them one knee one side and one the other side and cross my legs at the ankles so they can't back out. Then bend round them. As they aren't being lifted they feel a bit more secure.

Essentially you need to ensure the syringe does NOT point towards the back of the throat. Bunnies teeth are missing at the side a bit, so you aim for that area. You do need to check they are swallowing though-I find a bit of a 'shuggle'-wriggle, helps them to swallow. Bit at a time, not too much in one go.

I find the new finer Oxbow critical care is SO much better than the original. Use a 2ml syringe-the vets give you huge ones that are offputting and unwieldy-you have more control and bunny is happier with the smaller syringes I find.

Sometimes bunnies will eat the critical care themselves if you put some in a shallow dish. I sometimes add a bit of apple juice too-anything to make it smell irresistable. Make sure it's cool enough-I test on my wrist like baby food and offer it as anoth option. Mashed banana, grated carrot and apple is also often eaten. You can even add boiling water and cool the normal food you use to make a mash-often that goes down well with my dental buns.

Just slowly, slowy catchy monkey, be as calm as you can and keep giving bun nice things to eat in small pieces/grated as the sooner bunny eats for themselves the better for everyone!

Hi there

My 10 year old bunny (George) had his incisors removed earlier in the year and he too had to be syringe fed. If you have someone who can help you, you may find it easier for one person to hold bunny and for the other to syringe feed. (Luckily, George was very accepting of being syringe fed!). My husband sat in a chair and held him on his knee, whilst I sat on the floor in front of bunny and fed him. It is much easier than trying to hold and feed at the same time. Also you are facing bunny and you can then talk to her and reassure her, etc. I used to stop after a few syringefulls and give George a stroke and a kiss and tell him what a good boy he was being (mad I know!). I found it did get easier the more I did it and I became more confident in doing it. At first I was scared of hurting bunny's gums, by putting the syringe in, but once you find the right position (at the side before the molars begin) you will find it easier to do.

You could try soaking some pellets, in hottish water, until they are very very soft and see if Millie is willing to try them on her own then - it shouldn't be too long before she's back to eating herself. The vet told me that no bunny likes being syringe fed, so don't feel that it's all down to poor technique, etc., some will put up more of a fight than others! Good luck with Millie, she'll be much happier without the root problems and she will adjust to eating without front teeth, as they are only used for grabbing food and slicing it. Just cut up her veggies a bit smaller and she'll soon be munching away again!

Back