• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I over reacting?

Minilop

New Kit
Hi all

Stumbled across the forum and thought I would ask your advice if thats OK.

My 5 year old outdoor minilop usually comes running out when I go out to feed her at night, but tonight she just lay in her hutch. Her bonded bunny came running out as usual.

I left her to it and cleaned out the hutch which usually prompts her to start running about and playing with the sweeping brush etc but still she lay there. She showed no interest in the food.

Fearing the worst I picked her up and she seemed fine - didn't seem like she'd lost weight, normal temperature etc. I put her down to check for head tilt (i lost another bunny earlier in the year to this) but she's fine and started running about.

I keep going out to check on her and she is lying down a lot and sort of sprawls out which she doesn't usually do but then next minute she's hopping about.

They're usually in a 2 storey hutch so i've taken out the ladders and put extra hay downstairs and a big sleeping bag covering half of the hutch (the other half provides a 24 hour secure run) as I don't want her to get stuck upstairs or downstairs or even fall off the ladder.

Can rabbits just be 'off colour' or should I be really worried?

I'd appreciate any advice - I just dont want to take her to the vets (and if im being honest pay a lot of money) to be told she's fine and I'm over reacting). I would pay the money in a heartbeat if she needed treating of course.

Chrissie

Hi all

Stumbled across the forum and thought I would ask your advice if thats OK.

My 5 year old outdoor minilop usually comes running out when I go out to feed her at night, but tonight she just lay in her hutch. Her bonded bunny came running out as usual.

I left her to it and cleaned out the hutch which usually prompts her to start running about and playing with the sweeping brush etc but still she lay there. She showed no interest in the food.

Fearing the worst I picked her up and she seemed fine - didn't seem like she'd lost weight, normal temperature etc. I put her down to check for head tilt (i lost another bunny earlier in the year to this) but she's fine and started running about.

I keep going out to check on her and she is lying down a lot and sort of sprawls out which she doesn't usually do but then next minute she's hopping about.

They're usually in a 2 storey hutch so i've taken out the ladders and put extra hay downstairs and a big sleeping bag covering half of the hutch (the other half provides a 24 hour secure run) as I don't want her to get stuck upstairs or downstairs or even fall off the ladder.

Can rabbits just be 'off colour' or should I be really worried?

I'd appreciate any advice - I just dont want to take her to the vets (and if im being honest pay a lot of money) to be told she's fine and I'm over reacting). I would pay the money in a heartbeat if she needed treating of course.

Chrissie

Hi, anytime a rabbit is off its food and lethargic and sprawled out, it's not a good sign. She could possibly be going into a stasis (gut slowing down). Personally, I would go to the vets as she may need some gut stimulant, and pain relief. Pain relief is paramount in these cases. Good luck and hope she's okay x

I would say it's probably better to pop her along to the vet tonight.

Our gut instincts are usually right and if you think she's a bit off colour, it probably means she's feeling quite poorly. Rabbits hide illness extremely well so by the time we notice something's not right, they may be feeling quite ill.

Let us know how you get on at the vets - Good Luck :thumb:

As the others have said, she really needs to see a vet. Rabbits dont show weakness because they would be easy targets for predators so be cause she 'seems' fine it probably isn't the case. The minute there is a change in your rabbits normal feeding pattern and behaviour pattern it is iportant to see a vet. They go downhill really quickly and lack of eating can mean that their tummies stop working properly and they can be in big trouble really quickly.

I hope she gets back to normal soon.

I'm afraid that sounds very much like how Smudge reacts when in stasis. Its probably better to take her now than it progress and worsen.

Thanks everyone - I took her to the vets and it was her molars that have spurs on them causing ulceration

Have left both bunny's there and they will give her fluids overnight and do her teeth tomorrow.

So glad I took her tonight

Thanks again

That was so good you took them in when you did as it might have been too late by the morning without treatment, these things develop so quickly. Hopefully once her toothy pegs have been seen to she will be back to normal in no time. Let us know how she gets on :wave:

Excellent job - well done for taking her in when you did.

She'll feel so much better once her teeth have been done. May take her a little while to get back to 'normal' so you'll have to watch her eating and 'pooping' for a couple of days :)

well done for taking her in so quickly. good luck for her dental, hope it all goes well and she's back to her normal self soon x

Well done for being so reactive and advocating for your bunny!

You've given her the best chance at recovery :)

Many people dont realise how quickly rabbits deteriorate, you've done great :D

Loads of vibes

Back