• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there such a thing as a rabbit being over hungry?

Liquorice

Mama Doe
Can it happen because Liquorice is driving me crazy as everytime I walk past her cage she jumps up for more food and she is getting a bit overweight!!! :( I'm kinda worried as I don't know wether it's normal or not for rabbit to be so hungry alllllllll the time.

If anyone knows please post back

Vicky xxx :)

As far as I can tell from the bunnies I have & bunnies I have looked after, they will eat as much food as you give them :roll: Easy way to regulate is make sure they constantly have hay but only give certain amount of pellets & veg. Then you can feel comfortable about not giving in to their cute little begging faces because if they were that starving they could eat the hay! :lol:

Are you sure it's food she is jumping up for?
She might just be wanting attention and a chance to come out and stretch her little legs

I would just give her a fresh handful of hay, which will help keep her weight down. Twinkle always begs for more food but I am afraid after he's had his normal amount he just gets more hay;)

All 3 of mine seem constantly hungry! They get more pellets than they are meant to but they are always still nagging for more food!

Thanks for all the replies but yep it's mjust that cute little face that me and my mum can't resist :lol:

My two are constantly begging and it's very difficult to resist those 'I am starving and wasting away, please feed me before I expire' eyes! I chuck in another handful of hay and give them a fuss and they are happy with that most of the time, although Gingersnap will sometimes turn his back and look at me over his shoulder in disgust :lol:

Does she have unlimited hay? As long as she has plenty of hay, she should be fine.

Try to make sure she doesn't get overweight as a result of too many pellets - I know it's tempting when you see their wee eager faces :lol: but it's really bad for them and can cause other health problems.

Rabbits begging for food is like children nagging for sweets - if you give them a huge bowlful, they'll probably eat them, but if you don't give them the stuff that's bad for them, they'll fill up on the healthier options!

Does she have plenty of hay? She's likely more after attention than food, though rabbits always find treats like pellets appetising but they shouldn't have very many. I read something once that said that rabbits get offended if you pass by them and don't say hello with a head rub. ;) Mine are always after attention, a pellet or treats is an added bonus. :love:

Does she have unlimited hay? As long as she has plenty of hay, she should be fine.

Try to make sure she doesn't get overweight as a result of too many pellets - I know it's tempting when you see their wee eager faces :lol: but it's really bad for them and can cause other health problems.

Rabbits begging for food is like children nagging for sweets - if you give them a huge bowlful, they'll probably eat them, but if you don't give them the stuff that's bad for them, they'll fill up on the healthier options!

Yes she has unlimitedd hay but she loves other food too

Spenser is always wanting food. Being a single bunny it is probably a plea for attention too. I try to give him healty treats, and sometimes just pet him or try to interest him in his hay.

What size accommodation does she have? If she doesn't have enough space to run around then she's going to be bored...if she's bored then she's more likely to eat to pass the time. She can't exercise as the space isn't big enough so she gets larger. If you're noticing that she's putting on more weight than in previous pictures of her then I'd be getting concerned as she was looking overweight in those.

If you gave her more space then she'd probably ask less for food and would maintain a healthy weight as she'd be able to run about.:)

Yes, rabbits eat pretty much constantly, and they need to. But its hay/grass that they should be eating constantly. I imagine your bun is begging for treats/pellets, which she shouldn't have too much of. Hay/grass doesn't make them overweight but pellets/fruit/sugary veg does.

My buns DO beg for fresh hay though. I give them hay top ups like 10 times a day, just whenever I'm passing by their cages and see they're running out, so they will beg if I haven't topped up their hay in a few hours or so. They LOVE fresh hay!

Try having some freshly cut grass on hand and give her a wee bit each time you feel sorry for her. That way it is healthy food she gets but she'll go daft for it just as much!

I don't know if this is true of rabbits also but lots of animals don't have a "I'm full" switch in their heads, because in the wild they ate when they had the chance/food was available so it meant they could overeat when food was scarce. Our two beg constantly. Most of the time they get kisses and rubs only... But every now and then a little treatie.

Back