• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Drusilla - Vets appt today

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Well she terrified me last night with the mouth breathing but it settled down a bit after the steam inhalation. Today she's eaten two and a half bowls of food (veg and pellets) so far and has been out and about round the garden all day. She's sitting more than moving but at least she's out rather than hiding under/in her hutch as she had been. She's also grooming a little and is making a much more spirited effort to avoid being caught. The breathing is possibly a little quieter and today I found a wonderful contraption that I bought at a local pharmacy for under £5 - may be useful for others? It's called a Clearway Steam Inhaler and it's like a beaker with a facepiece. You fill the beaker with boiling water/a drop of obas oil. (Will talk to vets about what else I can add to the list and will take along Parsnipbun's meds list for them to see) and it's linked to a facepiece that fits over the bun's nose. Drusilla was surprisingly calm about having the facepiece over her nose - it' s like a mini nebuliser and seems to be helping.

Do hope this is of use and the other myxi buns are doing well.

Last edited:
we had this for Viola Rose before we got a proper nebuliser - worked ok but she was not that keen on the nose thing.

Suggest saline for the nose, and occassional F10 (ask vets for it), but can also use room 'plug ins' of the sort they use for children with colds!

we had this for Viola Rose before we got a proper nebuliser - worked ok but she was not that keen on the nose thing.

Suggest saline for the nose, and occassional F10 (ask vets for it), but can also use room 'plug ins' of the sort they use for children with colds!

Thank you :wave: Does it need to be saline from the vets or can I just add salt to the water meanwhile?

:wave:Glad Drusilla is a little better. Sending more vibes. As I said before, I have no experience of Myxi but your advice sounds great.

no change on crunchie...he is still eating fine
tried the steam think with olbas oil - but it didnt seem to make any change - he is flopped in the living room though

no change on crunchie...he is still eating fine
tried the steam think with olbas oil - but it didnt seem to make any change - he is flopped in the living room though

Glad he's no worse. Did you put a cover over his head to trap the steam? Great that he's still eating well and sounds relaxed :wave:

Personally I dont like to use Olbas Oil as IME it is way too strong for a Rabbit's very sensitive nose, even at the weakest concentration.

I would just use steam

Loads more vibes for all these poorly Bunnies xx

So glad to hear that Drusilla is a little better. Also pleased to hear that Crunchie is no worse.

Sending more vibes for the poorly buns. xxxx

Yes i used a towel.
After a few seconds he started wriggling. After a minute pr teo i let ho...he did.not like the steam.

He is still eating his.pellets. Veg. And im just terrified im just prolonging the deterioration

It's good he's still eating. Drusilla is too but I'm agonising over the same question. :cry:
In a way, the superficial respiratory symptoms are like human flu or a mega-heavy cold. If as a human you take no cold medicine you would probably be strugging to breathe just as the buns are and sound just as awful. But on the other hand a cold isn't serious - your body just needs time to fight it. :? It makes you feel rotten though and a rabbit has no way of knowing they will feel better in future as humans do. Plus their eyes are affected. Although sight is less of a vital sense for rabbits than humans. Really struggling to know what's for the best, and my only bun-savvy vet isn't available until Monday. :(

It's good he's still eating. Drusilla is too but I'm agonising over the same question. :cry:
In a way, the superficial respiratory symptoms are like human flu or a mega-heavy cold. If as a human you take no cold medicine you would probably be strugging to breathe just as the buns are and sound just as awful. But on the other hand a cold isn't serious - your body just needs time to fight it. :? It makes you feel rotten though and a rabbit has no way of knowing they will feel better in future as humans do. Plus their eyes are affected. Although sight is less of a vital sense for rabbits than humans. Really struggling to know what's for the best, and my only bun-savvy vet isn't available until Monday. :(

ETA I just remembered a bunny-savvy vet I saw once ages ago. Rang up and miraculously she had a free appt at 5! I just want to check with someone who is bunny-savvy that it's fair to keep Drusilla going over the weekend until the Monday evening appt. My impression is that we're holding steady against the myxi and if we can keep doing that then in time we'll win, but I want her to be seen regularly by a vet just to make 100% sure. (I suspect non bunny-savvy vet will just say pts automatically). Also she's eating veg but no pellets or hay (am syringe feeding too) and I want to get her teeth checked as well as she hasn't been wearing them down. :?

Back