• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

its been decided!

shadow05

Mama Doe
ive finally had enought of keeping scooter in a cage thats to big for my bedroom. soon im suppose to be comming into some money ive decided to use that to get him vaccinated and i was going to fully dec his dog crate out but ive decided to scrap that idea and just by him a little wooden house and have him as a house bunny. so hell be running around my room all day and at night ill make a small pen to put him in because i cant have him jumping on my bed while im sleeping no bunny is going to be chewing on my feet while i sleep. my main concern is to finish the decorating and at the same time make sure its safe for scooter as well.

ive been to the range today and saw i very nice wooden house for him that wud work perfectly for wat i have planned i may change it a little bit to have a flap. heres a pic.
http://www.therange.co.uk/l/bones-sml-animal-hideout/small-animals/the-range/fcp-product/8776

i have to say its a really good shop for diy and stuff.

anyways was wondering wat everybody thinks and if they have any other ideas that i cud use.

Yay, Scooter will be very happy to have all that freedom!

The little box is lovely, but if it was me, I would save the money to spend on other bits. It's not as if he can be shut in it, and you could use something cheaper as a hideout like a pet carrier with the door off or even a cardboard box with a hole cut it. Think of all the willow balls etc you could get in Wilkinson's for £25 - he'd think he was in heaven :D

I would keep his dog cage, and just leave the door open all the time. Make it nice and cosy for him as a retreat. Also, with a cage, you can lock him in if you really need to (say if you are cleaning, or whatever), whereas with a wooden house, there is no option to shut him in and also, he may chew it!

I think its a brilliant idea to get rid of the pen though :)

I don't think that would really improve things for scooter.
It may in the day time, but I don't think he would be happier by being stuck in a small cage at night.

Perhaps if you want to improve his set up, you can just leave the door to his cage open to give him his free time :)

Yay, Scooter will be very happy to have all that freedom!

The little box is lovely, but if it was me, I would save the money to spend on other bits. It's not as if he can be shut in it, and you could use something cheaper as a hideout like a pet carrier with the door off or even a cardboard box with a hole cut it. Think of all the willow balls etc you could get in Wilkinson's for £25 - he'd think he was in heaven :D

i have a pet carrier but hes always moving it around and with this he cant move it. plus i thought it wud go with my room great. he wont be locked up in the little house i have a load of pen panels and ill just put them up at night and take them done in a morning.

from wat i found out ill be coming into a fair bit of money probably enought to get him fully kitted out new toys and everything. id been thinking about doing it recently and if i get my own flat it will be good practice for him while hes here if he does any damage i can always have it fixed before i leave here.

my bedroom is going to need a lock put on it as well to ensure his safety.

with the little house the only thing that i plan to change on it is to put some lino on the inside and then a load of his quilts will be put in there. he loves it when u put loads of quilts in his carrier. hell just dig on them then try and starighten them out so there no creases hes gotten funnier to watch. i was thinking of also having a cat flap put on it but i cant think of how to do it.

A cheap dog bed under a table works just as well :)

i know i did think about that but i know what hes like if u got him a dog bed hed only try and eat it. he trys it with fleeces every now and then and he gets feed quite well has tons of hay. plenty of pellets too which ive been meaning to cut him back on but u always get evil eyes when u decrease his amount of food. :shock::lol:

I would keep his dog cage, and just leave the door open all the time. Make it nice and cosy for him as a retreat. Also, with a cage, you can lock him in if you really need to (say if you are cleaning, or whatever), whereas with a wooden house, there is no option to shut him in and also, he may chew it!

I think its a brilliant idea to get rid of the pen though :)

i know but the dog crate is to big for my room, if he was to just have a small pen at night and have the run of my room during the day hed be happy with that at the moment i cant let him out unless im in the room. its too dangerous ive just got a new cabinet and its supporting a very heavy tv but the cabinet has no doors and ive got my xbox, ps2 and a load of book and dvds there. im trying to think of ways to keep him from getting at all of that lucky all that is unplugged and the cables are very goodly hidden but i dont want him chewing on the xbox and i cant keep unplugging it and taking all the books and stuff away every time.

its okay if he chews that house its his home. hell decorate it how he wants :lol::D

I don't think that would really improve things for scooter.
It may in the day time, but I don't think he would be happier by being stuck in a small cage at night.

Perhaps if you want to improve his set up, you can just leave the door to his cage open to give him his free time :)

surprisingly hes never really minded if hes out during the day he doesnt make much noise or rag on the cage bars like he use to. he normally just mess around with his pet carrier u know taking the quilt out smoothing it over so theres no creases and then just goes to sleep on it when its nice and neat or hell just throw his treat ball and chase after it.

its fun to watch him play. :D

Actually i think i might just make him a house cause then it will be exactly how i want it to be and wat ive got in my head is so much better than the small little wooden house and it wud be a good project for me. hmmmmm ????? (thinking)

thanks everybody im going to go away and draw up some plans and think about this a little bit more.:wave::D

i know i did think about that but i know what hes like if u got him a dog bed hed only try and eat it. he trys it with fleeces every now and then and he gets feed quite well has tons of hay. plenty of pellets too which ive been meaning to cut him back on but u always get evil eyes when u decrease his amount of food. :shock::lol:

I mean a plastic one. Both my pairs have one with a towel in but they are just as happy turfing the towel out to sit on the pastic.

I mean a plastic one. Both my pairs have one with a towel in but they are just as happy turfing the towel out to sit on the pastic.

oh right lol srry there only one place that he likes to sit and thats under my dresser and i dont think u cud fit one under there but i do think he wud like the dog bed ill have to measure it up and see.

right after going away and putting a lot of thought into it. ive decided to build him a home. the measurements are going to be 4ft long, 3ft wide and 4ft heigh. itll have a secound level, a cat flap that can lock and unlock. fo each level it will have a window that slides open to provide more ventalation and it will also have holes for ventalation to nothing to big. the front part of it will open. the first level will have lino or tile flooring and the sceound floor will be carpet. the ramp will be made of mdf i think and have carpet on it as well for better grip.

ive put a lot of thought into far more than ive put down most of though has gone into safety and to make sure that no screws are showing. i know its a little bit small but its not to bad and hell have the run of my room for quite a long time during the day and will only be locked up for about 8hrs each night.

ill put up a picture of the diagram my mom told me of for being to entricate but oh well :D

im very excited about doing this it will finally be a decent project and something to do around this house. all i have to do is price it up :D

Back