• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns as pets in Oz

Rodentranch

Alpha Buck
Just seen a Gumtree ad with someone saying they have to rehome their bun as they are going back home to Australlia and buns are not allowed as pets there...what?

'we can't take them with us' is one thing, but this one just had me going 'huh?

Yes rabbits are pets in Australia. We have several Australian members on here. The are banned in Queensland though.

I have two friends in New South Wales that have had pet rabbits. The only issue is that you cannot get a rabbit vaccinated against myxi in Australia.

I suspect you can't import foreign rabbits into Australia either (never mind it would be a horrible journey for them to endure).

I couldn't imagine putting my 3 through that long journey! I can barely make the flight home without it nearly killing me. Plus I live in QLD and they are banned there unless you are a registered magician. If I ever needed to go back home I would have to rehome my bunnies too :(

Yes, sorry I agree that I would never expect anyone to take a rabbit on that journey :shock: just that what they actually said seemed a bit of a lame excuse....but it appears I was wrong as they are actually banned in some places then. I learned something new today :D

I couldn't imagine putting my 3 through that long journey! I can barely make the flight home without it nearly killing me. Plus I live in QLD and they are banned there unless you are a registered magician. If I ever needed to go back home I would have to rehome my bunnies too :(

:shock:

Well it does make me laugh as there is no water divide between Queensland and New South Wales. So you could be millimetres away on the divding line and one neighbour can own a rabbit and one cannot.

Didn't know know the exception is magicians. I wonder if more people than usual are magicians in QLD.

Queensland has had alot of devastation to its rain forests and lands by introducing animals etc from other countries. The most notable is the cane toad. They also have terrible problems with feral cats. Why there is an issue with pet rabbits though doesn't make sense.

You're not allowed pet rabbits in Queensland, besides I doubt there's any flight england to australia that take rabbits, if there were it would be ridiculously expensive and they'd probably have to be quarentined

You're not allowed pet rabbits in Queensland, besides I doubt there's any flight england to australia that take rabbits, if there were it would be ridiculously expensive and they'd probably have to be quarentined

I think most animals being bought in have to be quarantined for 3-6 months. That would be another reason that I couldn't do it to them. Lucky I don't have any plans to return home at the moment. Getting too hot now anyway :(

Years ago,a Frenchman came from Oz bringing Myxi with him.It was developed there so Ive been led to believe.Bunnies are a nuisance out there:(

Back