• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor buns and allergies?

lucy24

Mama Doe
i have asthma and im allergic to hay. :( ddoes anyone have housebuns and these problems too? how do you cope? i want my buns inside but i donnt want my health to suffer! ideas pleasseeee!:wave:

I used to have hayfever, it's got a lot better though since my rabbits have been indoors. Do you take anti-histamines? You need to take them every day, even if you don't have symptoms as they build up. :)

I'm allergic to mine but not badly, I just put up with it :oops:
It's mostly just a stuffy nose and my eyes water so it's livable. If I have a day where I feel worse I take antihystimines but it's rare

me.

i take piriton every day - especially before cleaning out litter trays and i use my inhalers morning and night to try to keep wheezing at bay. doesn't always work - esp if i'm sat on the floor stroking a bun - but i haven't turned blue. yet!

i find that i need to avoid the paper and hemp based litter stuff too as that really affects me. newspaper and hay only here.

I have mild hayfever, but it doesnt effect me much unless its near my face.

My old housemate gets really bad hayfever and has other allergies too, he used to get quite wheezy, have itchy eyes etc around the hay, but only if he was in the same room as it for a couple of hours. It helped if the window was open. Do you have an cupboard somewhere you can put it in?

Why dont you bring the hay inside for a few weeks and see how it affects you? You want to make sure you can stand it, as at this time of year, once theyre in they have to stay in till March/April at the earliest.

Have you tried different types of hay? Our rabbits have a mat at the bottom of the cage and hay in hay rack, this reduces the amount of hay we use.

I do, but not so badly that I can't live with it and antihistamines do help.

I try to get OH to do any major activites involving hay (the BIG clean, or emptying new bags into the storage contaniers) so I avoid dealing with it at its worst.

My daughter was extremely ill when I had Pickle and Pootle indoors once when Pickle needed watching. She was under the hospital for tests.. until we realised it was extreme allergic reactions. Her eyes were terrible. Dry, shooting pains, swollen. Her asthma was terrible. She was so ill.

Bunnies all outside and doing well, and daughter is well again now too!

Asthmatic daughter developed extreme allergies

Hi,

When we first brought our bunny home my daughter was fine and spent every day with him without any problems, however as time went on she gradually became more and more allergic. She started with a slightly runny nose and itchy eyes - nothing major and certainly managable.
However within a year these mild allergic reactions have become full blown asthma attacks which have on accassion landed her in A&E, it took us a while to realsie that it was the rabbits causing it and she is no longer able to touch the rabbits or even be in the same room as them.

This is despite the fact that she showed no sign of allery in the first few months. We have been told by the Professionals that in asthma/allergic reactions - repeated exposure to the irritant does not 'build' immunity, it actually leads to a hightened sensitivity to the allergen, we have certainly seen this to to be true in our daughter.

She takes daily prescibed medications and anti-histamines (not piriton) but she still suffers daily breathing problems - we were advised that she was probably allergic to the hay and not the rabbits (by rabbit keeping forums) but I can most definitely say that it is the rabbit fur.
I do not have any allergies or history but after time spent grooming the rabbits I also start sneezing and have watery eyes - again, I did not have an problems in the first few months, it is a sensitivity that developed.

I would advise that you be prepared that over time, what could be a mild reaction (or no reaction at all) could develop into something more serious.

My rabbits need to go outside to protect my daughters health unfortunately this is not an option at the moment so we manage by keeping her well away from them (but she still has problems) our only other option is a rescue :-(

aww im so sorry your daughter has such a bad allergy.:( i know for me its just the hay but at the end of the day your daughters health is most important. i hope you find a solution:wave:

ive decided to keep them out for the time being. i think im more bothered about this than they are! :lol:

I do, I'm allergic to rabbit fur and hay. It's hay that bothers me mostly. It even causes big mosquito sized bumps on me when it touches my skin. It used to not be very bad, I didn't even take allergy pills, but in like the last month my allergies have gotten a lot worse :( I had to start taking allergies pills. I need to get better ones though, these aren't help very much.

Its really bad for about 2 hours after I wake up and later in the day its more manageable but I have to carry tissue with me everywhere, my nose keeps bleeding and my left nostril feels really dry inside and my throat itches occasionally. Now in the last couple days my eyes have been itching. I wear a mask and gloves when feeding or cleaning them out and waash up afterwards to make sure there's no hay dust on me which does help, if I weren't doing that my allergies would be a lot worse.

Back