• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Root problems

My 2 year old rabbit is with the vets now having all her incisors removed due to the roots being diseased. What concerns me is that the molar roots are also starting to become diseased, and I understand that it is much harder to deal with the back teeth once there is a problem. I was just after some advice and whether this has happened to anyone else's rabbit?

How worrying for you. I'm afraid I don't have any experience of this - only of tooth root abscesses. But I hope it's not as bad as you're expecting and that someone with more knowledge than me can offer some advice.

Sorry I can't offer any advice either, I know there have been other members whose buns have had this problem so it might be worth using the search function and see what comes up - sorry if you've done this already!

Sending vibes for your bunny, I hope her op went well xx

Hi, thanks for your messages. Millie is now back home, and all she wants to do is have a cuddle and sleep. Vets say the op went well, all incisors have been removed and the x-ray showed that there are signs of root problems in the molars which we will keep an eye on with regular x-rays. Tried feeding her with the food that you mix with water, but she hasn't been that interested. She's been drinking and pooing which is good, and hopefully will be up for food in the morning once the pain relief starts to wear off.
Thanks again

Hi, thanks for your messages. Millie is now back home, and all she wants to do is have a cuddle and sleep. Vets say the op went well, all incisors have been removed and the x-ray showed that there are signs of root problems in the molars which we will keep an eye on with regular x-rays. Tried feeding her with the food that you mix with water, but she hasn't been that interested. She's been drinking and pooing which is good, and hopefully will be up for food in the morning once the pain relief starts to wear off.
Thanks again

Hi,
sorry to hear she is having dental problems. At least the incisor removal will relieve some of her discomfort.
With the cheek teeth the problem is often that there is abnormal positioning of the back teeth so they don't wear properly and as they are continuously growing they wear irregularly causing spikes or can become too long. When there is no more room in the inside of the mouth for them to grow upwards then the only way they can continue to elongate is to push back towards the root. There is no easy cure for this but regular dentals can help to keep the teeth inside the mouth short and so slow the progression , alongside encouraging her to eat as much hay and grass as possible to get maximum wear of the teeth. This can be difficult if the teeth are uncomfortable as she won't want to chew lots of tough vegetation so pain relief may be needed to make her a bit more comfortable.
The best people to talk to are your vets as they'll have the Xrays and know exactly what the problems are and how severe they are now and are likely to be in future.
Marie

Back