• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The playhouse is going to get damp!

Urine is getting under the lino in the playhouse, and its not getting chance to dry out. If i leave it its just going to get worse, and the wood will start to rot.
The only thing i think i can do is remove the lino and let it dry out, but at this time of year, i have no idea how long its going to take. I dont know what to do with the buns while it dries out though, it may take days-a week or more. They only have this one outdoor set up, if i had a small hutch i could put them all in the run for a few days, but i only have 1 shelter and its not big enough.
Does anyone know what i can do? Or if they will be ok in the house for a week or 2 and then going back outside? :S Im just worried about them going back out into the cold.

Hmm thats a toughie :?

I think its well worth getting the floor dried out before winter sets in. I think they will be fine if you bring them in the house for a while. Do you have a utility room or somewhere you can leave a window open so the temperature difference wont be as drastic? :wave:

Im trying to think of a way you can keep the floor dry aswell. Maybe put bin bags under the lino or something like that?

Can you seal the edges of the lino so no more urine can get into the wood, and then with time the wood will gradually dry.

Hmm thats a toughie :?

I think its well worth getting the floor dried out before winter sets in. I think they will be fine if you bring them in the house for a while. Do you have a utility room or somewhere you can leave a window open so the temperature difference wont be as drastic? :wave:

Im trying to think of a way you can keep the floor dry aswell. Maybe put bin bags under the lino or something like that?

No. Only the conservatory, but Poppy dog terrifies Skye. The only place they could go is my room, and that can be quite warm at times.

Can you seal the edges of the lino so no more urine can get into the wood, and then with time the wood will gradually dry.

What with? I could put yacht varnish on the floor (the ronseal stuff is safe for animals) but this wont be until next year now. No more urine is getting under the floor, its just from when i was bonding them, its not getting chance to dry out.

Last edited:
Do they use litter trays? If so, I'd be inclined to completely remove the lino for a week and allow the floor to dry out. If the buns are using trays then the floor shouldn't get any more urine on it and will gradually dry, even with the bunnies still in there. Once it's dry, pop the lino back down. I wouldn't put anything other than lino down (ie. bags underneath it) as more than one layer of plastic could cause it to 'sweat' and create condensation and even more damp.

people have already suggested it but if you took them inside you could use ice pods and things to keep them cool?
but the weathers been really wierd lately :/
if not does anyone you know have a spare hutch you could use whilst your drying the floor?

i would NOT bring them inside at this time of year. It's already VERY cold early in the morning and early in the evening, night times are already getting to 0 in some places.

I'd personally rip the lino up for a while if you can, then leave it to air for a good week or so, then lay it again and use sealant around the outside edges, and then baton round all the edges to stop them getting to the sealant :wave:

Back