• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Location-dependent constipation?

Vita

Mama Doe
This is just getting silly.

[BTW, this follows on from these threads.

Ada had not passed any droppings for about 4 hours after coming home from her injection of Baytril. I was concerned that the problem was connected with the Fly Strike Protector, but constipation isn't a side effect listed anywhere I could find. I called the emergency vet and was advised to bring her in. But. The problem was solved in the taxi; after quite some time I noticed the smell, and sure enough, when I looked in the light of the waiting room, there were 3 or 4 droppings, some stood-in. Decided not to see vet, took her home in the taxi.

So back at home, I put her back in the new cage, and an hour and a half later there are still no droppings in there.
The new cage has the same layout as the other one. I have now moved it so that she and the other rabbit can see each other in case some kind of pining was the problem - the cages are about 6in apart, which doesn't give much room to get past, but is ok at night.

So I'm not sure if it was the motion of the car that made her go - the journey is the best part of half an hour - or if there is something about the new cage that inhibits her. The carrier is hardly familar, as it was new yesterday.

Obviously it would be expensive and totally impractical to take her on long taxi-rides continually. Is there anything else I can do other than go to the vet yet again tomorrow?

I really hope there are droppings in the cage when I get up in the morning. Should I even be getting up in the night to check her?

It sounds like she isn't eating much, so she isn't pooping? And what have the poops looked and smelled like? Healthy rabbit poop isn't supposed to smell really.

You need to make sure she's eating or she'll go into stasis. This can be harder than it sounds unfortunately :( Make sure she's getting a lot of exercise too, that keeps the gut moving. I'd get up every couple hours through the night at the least.

Some rabbits do hold it in until somewhere familiar. Have you tried putting the carrier in her area? Carriers are prime places for poking as they offer an enclosed area where bunny can feel safe.

It does sound like there is more going on though and if she's not passing very much or eating very much I would keep a very good eye on her and take her to the vets in the morning. If she stops eating completely and doesn't pass any more I would consider the emergency vets as it does sound like there is more going on in there.

Thankfully Ada is still alive, moving around, eating and drinking though not much and she is subdued. Going to go to the good rabbit vet as soon as they open. I have them registered for a check up there next week, and they've already requested the notes from the emergency vet and the shop vet.

No droppings overnight. Have put her in carrier (or, rather, I put the carrier in the cage and let her climb into it, which looks a lot less stressful for her. I need to take a deep breath and give her her Baytril soon.

What is worrying is that she appears to have eaten a whole sheet of newspaper, which was under the enclosed area of her cage. I was only using it as a cage lining as a temporary measure to make them easier to clean out. Prevously they had chewed small corners of it only. This was the case this morning in Beatrix's cage too.
I have now taken all remaining newspaper out of both cages and the carrier.

Vet 3 said newspaper was fine for rabbits; I get the impression from reading that it is not great, but given that they showed no great propensity to eat it before, I thought it was OK in their cages for a few days.

Also, re. exercise. I'd love them to have loads of exercise, but both are on Baytril for recent diarrhoea [this is why the smell was quite expected] and not at all litter trained, so don't really want them out and about in the house. I would have tried letting them out in a bathroom by now (easy to clean), with careful supervision to see how they managed the floor, if it weren't for the illness. Outside is just a small paved yard with a large gap under the gate, lots of cats in the neighbourhood and a nearby trunk road, so don't really want them there.

How would you exercise a rabbit in these circumstances?

Update: very small amount of diarrhoea in carrier. But one positive: it was really easy to give her the Baytril, and after initially hiding her head from the syringe, she enthusiastically chewed on it until she'd taken the whole does.

Last edited:
Back