• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Glue versus Stitches

basirascal

Mama Doe
Following Twinkies Op today, I was wondering which method was best and why, after neutering/spaying. Basil was glued and had no probs. Twinkie has been stitched and has already chewed one out:roll: So he's now part stitched (which he keeps threatening to chew) and part glued where he was repaired. Don't really know why the vet (usual one) chose the stitching method this time (should have asked:oops:)

There are several vets at our practice, some prefer to use stitches and others glue, it just seems to be down to their personal preference. Olly had glue and Honey had stitches - I must admit, Honey seemed more irritated by her stitches than Olly was by the glue. I don't think Olly even noticed really :roll: but Honey had to have her stitches taken out after a week, even though they were dissolvable, as they were irritating her skin and making it red and a bit swollen :wave:

My vets charge an extra £5 to be glued, but after having Sophie chew through all her stitched on the eve of Christmas eve, out of hours I go with glued and ask for glued each time with girlies. more for prevention reasons over anything else

Spenser had 'incisions', just one for each plum-hole. To be honest I wasn't really listening when she was explaining what had been done when I collected him as I had still to see Spenser at that point - I dropped him off at 8.30am and didn't get him back until 7pm!

Back