• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted fur help please??

loubylou34

Warren Scout
We have had our beloved pair for a couple of months now, and although they seem very happy together, they are still quite nervous of being handled much. (Often tolerate just a transfer to a runaround).
I was doing my usual time just sitting with them and stroking them at feeding time etc. I noticed around Pajamas back, so just above his tail on his back there are several 'lumps' of fur. I was quite alarmed by the number of them (maybe 6-8) so I brought him to have a good look....he was not happy!
He is obviously moulting a fair bit right now.
He was more tolerant when I held him in a towel. I looked and they are just fur, nothing alive or sticky or anything like that in it, but should they not be 'groomed' away? Socks doesn't have any, but she makes poor PJ groom her alot more than I ever (never) see her groom him, he grooms himself alot though.

Should I be worried? should I try to comb/ cut them out?

puzzled of Leicester!!:wave:

Try brush them out gently starting at the end of the hairs, it may take time but just do it gently, little and often to avoid "over doing" it for his sake as he isn;t very confident. It may be that you need to try give them both a quick brush each day

It definately needs to be groomed, as if it gets damp the skin underneath will get sore, and it will be an attractive place for flies to lay their eggs.

You can start by gently plucking some of the loose fur as you stroke, but regular grooming will ensure that it doesn't become a problem.

A few of my rabbits barely ever need grooming, but most of them do. It really depends on what type of coat they have.
My frenchie and my giants have the most dense coats - I could groom them forever and the fur would still keep coming!

ok, I have a brush, it is a cat brush I think, short, soft wirey bristles, but they both HATE it... and I feel like I am torturing them, I think I need help on Behaviour as they really don't like being held, and I am not sure if the towel thing is cruel ( Today was the first time I ever did it,) and he was still like a statue...which felt a bit weird as he usually wiggles away.

I hate all this uncertainty!

ok, I have a brush, it is a cat brush I think, short, soft wirey bristles, but they both HATE it... and I feel like I am torturing them, I think I need help on Behaviour as they really don't like being held, and I am not sure if the towel thing is cruel ( Today was the first time I ever did it,) and he was still like a statue...which felt a bit weird as he usually wiggles away.

I hate all this uncertainty!

Brushes don't work well with rabbit fur - ideally you need a steel cat comb.

The most important thing with handling is to be firm but gentle. If they feel secure it helps.
Try doing them on your lap, with their head tucked under your one arm (facing backwards) and pushed against your tum.. You then have both hands free to give their rump a good groom whilst your arm holds them securely in place

My bunny had bad patches of matted fur when we got her and wasn't used to being handled. I managed to get some of it out myself with a steel comb and a small pair of scissors. But in the end she had to go to the vets and be put under to get the rest out so she didn't get stressed out. Depending on how bad the matted clumps are on your bun you might consider this!

ok, today I held him in the towel, I think it helps him fee lsecure, but he still give a wiggle from time to time. After a good brushing (Tis all I have right now!) the matts seemed to be looser and I was gently able to tease most away. Hooray, I will give him another go tonight!! and brush hime (and make him hate me even more!!)

Thanks all lovely people.xxxx

Back