• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cardboard boxes

trinajade

New Kit
I recently bought 2 rabbits and I've given them a cardboard box to hide out in or chew or whatever they want to do with it. But when they chew it they're actually eating the card not just tearing it off. Is this okay or should i take the box off of them?

Mine do it occasionally too. Usually it doesn't matter, if it's got lots of ink on it or scelotape then I'd be a little concerned...are you feeding them decent hay? (Not pet shop stuff but nice long fresh green hay)? Or hay you tried putting hay inside the box?

to be honest i would take it away from them but then i do not have as much experience as most on here. I lost a bun to GS and whilst it was not due to a blockage my vet did ask if she had been eating card as it can be a cause of this hopefully someone that is more in the know will comment soon for you xx

My Spenser loves cardboard bozes more than any shop-bought toys, but while I'm sure he ingests a little, he is more interested in leaving it as a mess for me to tidy up!

I certainly wouldn't be happy about them eating a significant amount.

A little here and there is ok but I would take it away if they are ingesting a lot of it. Do they get plenty of fresh hay? Sometimes they crave cardboard if they are craving fibre, they should be getting that fibre from their diet.

i take it away if there just eating it my big bun just loves to eat things whole :lol:
now its gone
they switched to hay alot more so all good :D:D

Back