• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My first foster Rabbit ... progress!

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
We adopted Pie a few weeks back. She was a skinny lop rabbit who was found wandering the streets. A couple had taken her in and tried to find the owners for 2 months, but no one claimed her. Unfortunatly, they also rescued staffy dogs regularly so they couldn't keep her.

When she got here, I thought she may have had kits in the recent past as she had a dewlap what had apparently shrunk, and her milk ducts were quite promenant. I assumed that she was probably an X-breeding rabbit who had "done her job" and there for had no further use.

During the first week of having her, I watched her closely to pick up on her behavour etc. She ate little, wasn't interested in hay or grass and didn't toilet much at all. By the end of the first week I managed to become a fosterer for our local RSPCA and therefore could register Pie (now known as Ryn) so she could have a vet check and spay. Fearing the worst for her teeth, we were happily surprised when my rabbit savy vet told me her teeth are in great shape and other then being slightly underweight, she was a very healthy bun, so she went in for her spay that day....days passed and she got healthier and healthier. Her appetite was better then before her spay, and she was eating food well within the first 12 hours after her op. From only eating an egg cup full of pellets during 24 hours, she's now eating half a rabbit bowl full in a few hours if that so she's gaining the weight better now. She's also eating hay and grass! Not to mention her wound is doing lovely a week today from the operation. She's toileting properly now and only goes in a specific area. She also loves a fuss, her teeth were chattering today as I held her on my lap and stroked her head continously. I started to pluck lots of loose hairs from around her head and neck which she also thoroughly enjoyed.

She's going to her new home on Monday! A lovely woman is having them as her first rabbits at the age of 23 and has taken all my advice. She's bought them a lovely 8x4 ft aivery/run with hutch attached, plus an additional large run of the same sort of scale which she will be attachting to the permanent run for during the day. The best news yet, is that she's also found a neutered male to bond her with of which I am meeting on Monday :)

Could this story be any happier?

Ryn doesn't think so :)

DSCF5008.jpg

Last edited:
Back