• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Severe bloat - UPDATE 'SHE'S HOME'

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Pea has severe bloat and it's touch and go whether she'll pull through. The vet has just phoned to say he's taking her home with him tonight so he can continue to administer drugs/therapy but he's also taking the dreaded 'stuff' home with him so he can PTS if her pain becomes too severe and it's clear she won't recover. I don't know what to do with myself :cry:. Pod is sat all alone in the shed :cry:.

Last edited:
thinking of you and pea . . fluids and pain killer can do wonders and you obviously have a very dedicated vet.

Sending lots and lots of vibes for Pea.

Thinking of you all. xxxx

ETA Try and stay positive. My Bentley was seriously ill and blown up like a balloon. He literally had one foot through death's door, but he pulled through. Your vet sounds very dedicated, Pea will be in good hands.

Last edited:
Sending lots and lots of vibes for Pea.

Thinking of you all. xxxx

ETA Try and stay positive. My Bentley was seriously ill and blown up like a balloon. He literally had one foot through death's door, but he pulled through. Your vet sounds very dedicated, Pea will be in good hands.

Thank you - that gives me hope. One minute she was just a bit 'off colour' and displaying mild stasis symptoms (so we did the Metacam/Infacol routine) and the next minute she was blown up like a balloon and rock hard. I drove like a mad thing to the vets. There was a LOT of swearing at slow drivers :roll:. And yes, Simon, my vet, is brilliant. Sadly, they use Vets Now for their out of hours service and any 'in patients' are unattended overnight. That's why he's taking her home.

Severe bloat - *UPDATE*

Vet phoned me this morning to say Pea had made it through the night, although she'd had them worried a few times. She must be feeling a little better because she chewed her drip out :lol:. Everyone else had their myxi jabs this morning and I managed to spend some time with her whilst I was there. She rushed over to see me when I called her and then did a massive *thump* and legged it to the back of the cage :shock: - probably thought I was going to syringe feed her :lol:. We also have about 3 very tiny poops but at least there's something coming out.

She's still very bloated so we're not out of the woods yet but had a tiny nibble on a carrot and some hay so at least feels that she wants to eat - a good sign. I've left Pod with her for comfort and company so fingers crossed that she continues to improve and I can have her home for the weekend.

I'm glad she made it through the night and is showing a little improvement; I hope she feels better soon. xx

Thank you guys. I'm just very relieved she's still with us. I was in a right old flap last night.

Has the Vet tried Buscopan ?

It has been a life saver in some Bloats I have seen

Lots of get well vibes being sent xx

Sorry I missed this last night. I am glad she made it throught the night and the vet didnt give up on her. :)
Anti-bloat vibes being sent. xx

So glad to hear that Pea is improving. Bentley had absolutely nothing coming out the other end for quite a while, even when he finally started nibbling, so the fact that Pea has done a few poos is really encouraging.

Bentley was on Windeze (semethicone) to help disperse the gas. He had half a tablet dissolved in water, twice a day. He's a conti, but was only 9 weeks old at the time so was about the size of an average bunny. He was seriously bloated, but the gas gradually dispersed over a number of days.

Sending loads more vibes for Pea. xxx

I am so glad Pea has made it through the night. I love the sound of your vet, she is in great hands. The fact she has done some poos is really encouraging.

Back