• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit digging at her partner?

scotlass

Mama Doe
We are on day 4 of bonding Roxy and Gingersnap and everything is going really well - chasing has stopped completely and we have lots of mutual grooming and snuggling together.

However, when Roxy was last grooming Gingersnap, she cleaned round his eyes and ears, all the usual stuff, but then appeared to be tugging on the fur at the back of his neck and scrabbled with her front paws as if she was digging at him. He didn't seem to mind and stayed where he was, but I distracted her as I was afraid she would hurt him.

Is this normal grooming behaviour or something I should be wary of?

They are currently lying snuggled up together like a loved up couple.

Thanks in advance x

It's normal for them to tug a bit at fur, especially if they come across something in the fur when grooming. The digging is probably unrelated and she just decided that that spot was a good place to have a dig!

Our two tag team digging. One will sit innocently in front of the other while the other digs for Britain behind him, I think because usually they're digging somewhere inappropriate so they try to be sneaky and hide it!

when I was bonding my trio...there was abit of digging at each other too..they didnt seem to mind unless it got abit rough then the one being dug at would turn or hop away but def. show that that was enough thankyou! i think it was to do with hierachy...perhaps..Im not sure but I let them get on with it unless the one being dug at was getting squashed or looked unhappy...you kinda have to try and watch and see....let them be if its going ok- but watch their body language to make sure you do intervene if need be...as they can turu on each other quickly. Again dont be too quick to intervene...I hope this is not a mixed message...but yes mine dug at each other abit - mainly the buck at the does.;)

Back