• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying Mystery...

RoopyE

Young Bun
So I've just picked up my lovely rabbit Ariel from the vets. She went to be spayed which has been a long time coming, they wouldnt do it before because she had respiratory problems which seem to have improved a lot. So anyway we thought we'd give it a chance because it could lengthen her life.

But the vet had some bad news.... (I was worrying so much when I heard him say that...) he couldn't actually find her womb at all! He searched and searched and couldn't find anything at all! So all in all it was a waste of a trip and a waste of money and we're none the wiser as to why my little (big) bunny doesn't have a womb!

Has anyone heard of this happening in other cases?

I've read a few stories on here of rabbits having both I think (hermaphrodite is that the right word or have I made it up?)

I don't think it's completely unheard of - well, she can't get cancer of the lady bits if she doesn't have the lady bits, so as long as she's happy and healthy I wouldn't worry about it! Did they still charge you lol

they charged me some for it, though not the full price because obviously there wasnt really anything to do! :p haha

oh wow...hope she is settling and recovers quickly...bless her. I dont know much about things like this...but have heard of buns going between sexes....glad they didnt charge you the whole lot...hope it wasnt much at all..as obviously they didnt do anything once there...bless her.

Did they check for retained testicles? Ie could she be a he?

i was about to say the same thing Amy.

I know that some rabbits are genetically messed up and either have not developed property, or end up with both parts as above.

How old is your bunny?

The same thing happened with my Josie. No uterus, no testicles. :shock: They opened her up and had a good rummage about it there! She also has a deformed caecum and her ladybits look quite manly. :oops: I still refer to her as a she, and she doesn't seem to mind! :lol:

Back