• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worste phone call of my life. Vibes for Marshmallow.

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
My mum phoned me yesterday at 1 in the afternoon,
Id not long left the house and before I left I changed the buns round and one of the buns out was our new girl Marshmallow.

I answered the phone as normal, I could tell in her voice something was wrong,
then she said

'The dogs got Marshy'

My world came tubbling around me, my heart sank, threw a million questions at my mum, and rushed home,

She has no open wounds, she has been to the vets and given some pain releif for any bruising/swelling.

The worse thing is, We dont have a clue how she got out :( or how the dogs got to her :(

She spent the day time inside wrapped in a blanky and in my mums room where it is warm and quiet, and we put he back in her hutch and she seemed much more relaxed and has been eating and drinking as usual, and loving a nose rub.

I will never forgive myself, I put her out before I left (mum was in the house) and cant help thinking, did I do something wrong??? :cry:
I waited to post on here (even though I may aswell tie my own noose for even posting this) until the night had passed.

This morning she is bright, she has been eating goodies this morning and going to the toilet as usual.

Sending recovery vibes for her and hugs to you. xxx

Accidents happen to all of us, and is does sounds as if it could have been much worse.

Mum was out instantly and bought her straight in,
I cant even look at the dogs at the moment, we have always introduced the buns to them and they have always been impeccably mannered around them (never unsupervised)

Poor little girl must be so sore :( been giving her lots of attention and cuddles.

Thank you for the vibes, will keep udated.

Aww im sorry what a horrible scare, dont beat ur self up you will never let it happen again im sure u will be checking and checking again accidients happen, and try not to be sad with your dogs they didnt hurt her i dont know what breed/size of dog u have but im sure if they meant harm the outcome would have been worse. Hope Marshmallow caries on healing up for you xxxx

(dare I say it) I have 2 staffies, 18months old,

My sister in law keeps telling me 'thats whats in their breeding' but it doesnt make it right, they are family pets and have been brought up to respect the other animals and people around them,
Brandy, my brindle was hiding in her cage shaking, but Bailey, the tan, was the culprit, I just cant look at her,
It wont happen again, EVER!

Luckily, we have a garage coming soon, so all the buns will be in there and we are fencing off the area, so the dogs cannot get anywhere near the buns ever again, buns are going to have their runs in the house from now on, unless someone is sitting in the garden with them.

Just to add that I brought Marshy inside for a run, and shes running round like a loony, binkying and still her inquisitive self :)

I'm glad she made it ok.like people have said. Accidents do happen tho they can be heattbreaking. When I was about 14 I forgot to go home and put the duck away before going to a friends. It was a one off occasion as my mum couldn't get home till late. All we ever found of poor beaky was some feathers. I've felt guilty my whole life for that as she was such a loving old girl and we had her 10 years.

(dare I say it) I have 2 staffies, 18months old,

My sister in law keeps telling me 'thats whats in their breeding' but it doesnt make it right, they are family pets and have been brought up to respect the other animals and people around them,
Brandy, my brindle was hiding in her cage shaking, but Bailey, the tan, was the culprit, I just cant look at her,
It wont happen again, EVER!

Luckily, we have a garage coming soon, so all the buns will be in there and we are fencing off the area, so the dogs cannot get anywhere near the buns ever again, buns are going to have their runs in the house from now on, unless someone is sitting in the garden with them.

Just to add that I brought Marshy inside for a run, and shes running round like a loony, binkying and still her inquisitive self :)

I wasnt being nosey hope it didnt come across like thats....... i had a rottweiler myself so i would never breed steroe type (been there fought that ;)) what i meant was if u had a tiny weeney dog mayb thats why there was no real wounds but with a bigger dog its easier to cause harm, so in Baileys defense is that if she had meant harm i dont think u would have marshy think to have no puncture wound she must have been soft mouthed with your bunny sound like prey/play still very dangerous but just dont be too harsh on your dogs, as amazing as my missy was she would always have chased little fast animals if she got the chance that was just her 'thing' xxxxx

p.s really glad your little ones doing so well and you have have a plan to keep everyone safe and sound x
hope all that reads right the written word so hard!

I am sorry thih has hapended, bt it was an accident pure and simple. I have had a Rottie and grown up with 'status' dogs but it doesn't make them nasty.
It was nothign but an accident, both are fine and that is all that matters. Try not to blame the dog, they just run by instinct like all other animals. :)

so sorry - what an sweful shock...lotsa of calm recovery vibes for Marshmallow. Its aweful that the dogs went for her...but even though we try to get or pets to live along side each other...sometimes an instinct does come into play and even if they dont mean to hurt each other it can sometimes happen....perhaps your dogs didnt mean to hurt her...hence there being no actual wounds...as hard as it is...try not blame her...she may understand why you are not looking at her...I know its awefully hard...hope Marshmallow is feeling abit better today xxxx

It was an accident, try not to blame yourself. Mae once escaped from the run and got caught by my dog ( a terrier) it was an accident, these things happen!

What a shock!! :shock:

Many vibes for Marshmallow, I do agree that it was an accident. If she has no puncture wounds, it just sounds like your doggie was playing with her, like a toy, and maybe forgot herself a bit. It does sound like she was being gentle.

Accidents happen, animals get out, please do not beat yourself up over it.

hugs for you too. xxx

What a shock!! :shock:

Many vibes for Marshmallow, I do agree that it was an accident. If she has no puncture wounds, it just sounds like your doggie was playing with her, like a toy, and maybe forgot herself a bit. It does sound like she was being gentle.

Accidents happen, animals get out, please do not beat yourself up over it.

hugs for you too. xxx

I agree with this ^ Your dogs were quite capable of killing your bun if they had chosen too, but they did not. Nobody told dogs that buns don't neccessarily like to play rough and tumble like they do and I guess that is what it was, a bit of rough and tumble. Please don't punish your dogs or be too hard on yourself. Accidents do happen and all you can do is your best.
I have a German Shepherd dog with Twinkie. My dog is somewhat scared of Twinkie :shock: and tends to keep her distance when he pesters her. However, Twinkie has sort of bonded with our dog and when they are close (always supervised) we are very vigilante because we are aware that the dog likes to chase and tumble. she hasn't got a nasty bone in her body but I don't think Twinkie would care to 'tumble' with her.
I am so glad your Marshmallow is fine and probably none the worse for her tumble with your dogs -even if she doesn't care to repeat the experience in the near future.

Hey we all make mistakes, its great that this one hasn't turned out as badly as it could have done.

Please don't blame the dogs. Whilst you feel "disappointed" in them, they really don't have the reasoning skills that we do, and they will long have forgotten why you are angry with them!

Its great that you will soon have a secure area for the rabbits. At least with this incident in mind it gives you the opportunity to make sure the new area is as secure as it can possible be.

Loads of nose rubs to your bunny!

Dont beat yourself up, accidents happen, I have a border collie and as gentle as she is she did chase my old rabbit once, I know she only wanted to play but she would of hurt Joey if I hadnt been there (Joey had escaped his hutch)

A staffie could do alot of damage in seconds if they wanted, so if he ment it by the time your mum got to them it would of been to late so dont be to hard on him, he clearly didnt mean any harm and was just playing xx

Thanks everyone,
Shes doing great, come bounding over when I just fed her, and put them away for the night.

I have given the dog some attention tonight too, I never shouted at the dog, or anything, I just hadnt been able to look at her.

Hopefully the new garage will be ready by end of next week, so not long to wait

Ive got some photos of Marshy, but thanks to Blackberry being down, cannot send them to the computer.

Back