• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tummy noises...please advise!

jcmc2811

New Kit
Hi all,

I have a 13 week old mini lop doe (Charlie). She was the runt of the litter but oh so cute and we couldn't resist and brought her home with us at 10 1/2 weeks.

Last Friday she changed from 'spider bunny' was we call her for the absolute need she has to climb on everything, especially the bars of her indoor cage, to being quiet and a lot more still so we took her to the vets. Vet gave us baytril (as she could her some tummy noises and though she may have some gas build up due to the start of an infection) and bio-lapis and recovery to aid her digestion. She has done the full course as of tomorrow. She is eating hay like it's going out of fashion and back to climbing on everything.

But when I put her near my ear I can still hear grumbly noises...is this normal? She seems fine and I dont want to take her back to the vets if its normal but on the other hand I don't want to take any chances.

Any advice?

Thanks

Jo

I can't say I'm afraid, I don't know - but hopefully someone else will pop along with good advice!

I know I freaked out once when Binky was drinking water from her bowl and I could hear the weirdest noises from her stomach! Turned out to be normal, but got ever so worried!

As long as it doesn't seem to be upsetting her or causing her pain then she should be fine. If she's eating/drinking/excreating/playing normally than that's really all you should be bothered about. If she stops climbing or becomes uncomfortable you might wanna see the vet incase she has another infection but if not just enjoy her climbing :lol:

I *think* I'm right here, but someone might correct me.
If you're putting your head right to her tummy and can hear it, it's normal. The noises are just showing that the guts working. Vets check for gut noises when bunnies are in stasis and no noises is bad so I'm guessing you're just on edge because she was off colour before?

Thanks all.

I an a very paranoid bunny mummy after losing 2 under 12 week buns to totally different illnesses in the past 5weeks. Cadi we lost to a stomach infection so uber panicked when vet said that was a poss.

Jo

Back