• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rubbing buns gums

markb

Young Bun
My rabbit has been ill for about 6 weeks now, keeps twisting his head round, grinding his teeth, going off some of his food, drinking loads and very lethargic, he has his teeth trimmed every 5 weeks so we thought maybe it was his teeth but they seemed ok so we had an xray done and it showed uneven tooth roots. The vet didn't think this was the problem due to the strange head twisting he was doing but because he was in pain he was given a steroid injection to try and control the pain. However since he has come home he has just been laying on the sofa all day, he is drinking loads and he is letting me put my finger in his mouth and rub his gums and he seems to really enjoy it. Would the uneven tooth roots cause this and also is their anything else I can try.

These may seem odd questions to you but taking ALL the symptoms together . . .

How often does he 'twist his head round'?

Does he do anything else afterwards?

Is the tooth grinding linked to it (in time) ie does he grind during/after/before the twisting?

Does he seem rather glazed whilst he is doing it?

Does the head appear to get 'stuck' . . does he stretch his legs out at all?

has he ever had panacur (or any other fenbendozole against E.Cuniculi)

is he loosing weight?

Has he had any blood or urine tests?

Back