• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honey and Benji - Bonding Diary - Advice Warmly Welcomed

Hello!

So i have two rabbits, Honey a 2 and a half year old Doe and Benji a 6 month old Buck, both neutered and currently living in separate outdoor cages. I got Benji as company for Honey, she has previously been a house rabbit however after returning to live with my parents she had to be a garden dweller (poor Honey Monster!) Benji was initially inside in an indoor cage, every day we would put his cage outside (suitably protected from the weather) alongside Honey's so they could meet through the bars and get used to one another. There were intial signs of aggression from Honey as it was her territory, then Benji would just spray because he was "excited". eventually they got used to one another and when i spent 3 days away and they were away from each other, there were sure signs that they had missed one another on return...sniffing noses through the bars and generally getting excited.

I have recently bought a new cage, in the hope they can both live in it together before the winter is out. Both are now living outside, in a cage each and i am swapping them over regularly so as to be sure neither stakes the new cage as their territory.

Prior to Benji being neutered (6weeks ago) we tried to have a "bunny date", we did this on the driveway as this area was neutral to both rabbits. Very little aggression shown but Benji got very excited and sprayed an awful lot over poor Honey and so we decided to wait for a 2nd date until he was neutered. Continuing with the daily cage to cage time.

Tonight i tried effectively our 2nd date with the assistance of my mum. I had thick gloves on, mum had a water spray and a plastic box in case there were serious ructions for separation.

Initially both rabbits ignored one another, then they realised they were there, or should i say Benji realised Honey was there and he approached her, brief nose to nose sniff and he then nipped her, she retaliated with a nip and more nipping ensued. I separated them after a very little while to make them see it wasnt allowed. Again they went about their business, Honey sitting next to the toilet washing herself while Benji was nosey-ing round the bathroom. They eventually came back together, whenever either showed aggression, mainly Benji pointing his tail, we sprayed, let them approach and again nipping ensued and separation followed. A little fur flew but neither bunnies were injured. Benji then laid at the opposite side of the room stretched out with Honey following suit (at the side of the toilet) both had the other in their eye sight. They would then bath themselves, not at the same time. eventually Benji approached Honey and we got to the point that when i said "no" sternly on his approach to her with his pointed tail he thought about it and moved away, at times they got nose to nose and no nipping. I thought this was positive and ended the date (ive read to end on a positive note as rabbits dont forget).

Is this a good first date? Any advice? I'm so fearful they will hurt one another that i worry im being over careful and separating them too soon. I appreciate they will need to establish a pecking order.

Also, Benji started spraying again and i was lead to believe this would stop once the hormones had settled after neutering. Any advice on this will also be welcomed.

Should i do another date tomorrow or wait until Thursday?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, i'm new to bonding (and being a part of a forum for that matter!) and need some knowledgable reassurance.

Thanks

Claire

First of all it can take 8 weeks for the hormones to die down and they can still get 'hormonal' after. That smell like a mix of onions and B.O.? So that's quite normal.

I would take the lying down /grooming as a mixed sign, good that they are not fighting anymore, but your not out of the woods yet. In this instance it sounds like they are trying to outdo each other in a 'I'm calmer than you and less bothered because I'm relaxed enough to lie down and wash but really I'm tense but not letting on to you that I am bothered by you' kind of way. Does that make sense? Like they are pretending to be relaxed to each other.

A great site is http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ to interpret their body language.

Someone with more knowledge might be along soon, but was it a completely neutral space? Neither been in before, with no litter trays in? Because anything that will smell like them, or an object can be claimed by either rabbit. Remember every time they part it's kind of like starting from scratch.

Good luck though!

Back