• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Funky eye

fayem88

Warren Scout
Hi All

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my lionheads right eye looked wet around the outside, i left it a few days & it went away. Its now made a return, his eye itself looks fine just the fur around it looks wet & stuck together. I have touched the fur itself and its like a substance has dried on it if you get what i mean. Cant see any puss or anything, has anyone got any ideas what it is or how i should try to treat it?

Sounds as though he may have a blocked nasolacrimal duct (tear duct).

This can be caused by infection and sometimes it can be related to dental problems. Elongated tooth roots (which cannot be seen without a skull Xray) press on the nasolacrimal duct causing a weepy eye.

Lionheads, Lops and Netherland Dwarfs are especially prone to Dental problems

I would take your Rabbit to a Vet for a thorough examination as that is the only way you will obtain a true diagnosis

Good luck :)

My Barney had this and it was the start of what later developed into snuffles, although it has calmed down now and is mild.

This is what he had on one eye when I took him to the vet:
SAM_0610.jpg

Is it long hair that's matted?

Bailey gets this, but it's where her hair as gone into her eye and got wet.

Get checked at the vets though to be sure x

My Barney had this and it was the start of what later developed into snuffles, although it has calmed down now and is mild.

This is what he had on one eye when I took him to the vet:
SAM_0610.jpg

Yeah thats a similar thing to what his eye looks like, my other rabbit sneezes quite alot (always has done) but its not been confirmed if it is snuffles- not sure if this can be passed on?

My lop has to go back to the vets anyway as he has had a suspected case of ear mites so i guess ill be taking them both along with me now :roll: :lol::lol: Why does it all happen at once!

Sounds as though he may have a blocked nasolacrimal duct (tear duct).

This can be caused by infection and sometimes it can be related to dental problems. Elongated tooth roots (which cannot be seen without a skull Xray) press on the nasolacrimal duct causing a weepy eye.

Lionheads, Lops and Netherland Dwarfs are especially prone to Dental problems

I would take your Rabbit to a Vet for a thorough examination as that is the only way you will obtain a true diagnosis

Good luck :)

I think i will take him along and see what the vet says, he has had his front 4 teeth removed as he had dental issues, is it possible for this still to happen? I thought they try to take all the tooth and root out?

Is it long hair that's matted?

Bailey gets this, but it's where her hair as gone into her eye and got wet.

Get checked at the vets though to be sure x

Erm, he's a funny one, for a lionhead he's mainly short haired with a long fluffy main so the fur around his eye is short/medium. It looks as though the eye has been weeping :?

Yeah thats a similar thing to what his eye looks like, my other rabbit sneezes quite alot (always has done) but its not been confirmed if it is snuffles- not sure if this can be passed on?

My lop has to go back to the vets anyway as he has had a suspected case of ear mites so i guess ill be taking them both along with me now :roll: :lol::lol: Why does it all happen at once!

Yes snuffles can be passed on. Most rabbits carry the bacteria but their immune systems keep it in check, but if they get stressed or their immune system is otherwise comprimised that can lead to the snuffles 'surfacing' as it were.

Barney now always has weepy eyes, although they arent that bad. I wash them in cold black tea every now and again, when its making the fur stiff, as I dont want it to get sore. The cold tea is because the tannins are meant to be good for healing the vet said, not because I'm crazy :lol: I'm not saying wash your bunny's though, as you want the vet to see the symptoms.

eta- I would get him xrayed for tooth root problems if you can.

Last edited:
Back