• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help. Myxi in vaccinated rabbit.

nataliepb

New Kit
My dutch female Pixie was put to sleep last wednesday as she had Myxo. She had been vaccinated 1 month ago, and was then neutered and had an umbilical hernia removed. The infection was too much for her to fight. She was 4 months old. Peanut her partner, is now looking really bad. I thought he would have some immunity as he is also vaccinated. Seems like the vaccinations are a waste of time??? What shall I do? I postponed his neutering operation to keep him strong so maybe he can fight it off. He's still eating, but not moving around much now. Hes on antibiotics. The question is, how long do I let him go on for. If he wasnt vaccinated I would have have him peacefully put to sleep and not let him suffer. But he is vaccinated, so why is he getting worse?
Vet says if he stops eating, then its probably time to let him go.
Its very upsetting.

Oh no :cry: I'm so sorry you lost Pixie :cry: I don't have any experience of myxi, so I can't offer any advice, but I can send lots of vibes for Peanut and hugs for you xx

I don't have any experience personally but one of my friends on here has, here is a quote from an old thread that she responded to:

Floss contracted nodular myxi two years in a row despite being properly vaccinated. My vet advised not to seperate her from Bournville as that would cause extra stress for her. Her put her on two anitbiotics as well as eyedrops for one eye which was badly affected.
She was put on:

0.8ml Baytril
1.0ml Flagyl
Tiacil eye drops twice a day. These weren't so effective the 2nd year so she was switched to Fucithalmic and Ocufen 3x per day and Eyesoft 2x per day.
She also had metacam. I think it was 1 drop twice a day.

During her first bout in 2006 I brought both rabbits indoors as the weather was cooler, but both stayed out in their hutch last year. She always had a good appetite apart from one or two days when she seemed a bit low at the start of the antibiotic course.
She recovered fully apart from some ulceration on her eye. Fortunately only one eye was affected each year...the right eye in 2006, and the other in 2007.
Most vaccinated buns recover well from Nodular myxi..assuming, of course, that the vaccination was properly administered. Fingers crossed for your bunsters.

i'm so sorry to hear about pixie:( i hope peanut can beat this wretched disease xxx

in my relatively short time of bunny companionship, i have never heard of so many buns - especially vaccinated ones - contracting this horrible disease:cry:

Thanks for your replys. He's still eating. Really hoping he pulls through. I think it will take a long time. It's so upsetting to see. He was such a lively boy. It's upsetting for my two children too, who had to say goodbye to pixie last week and now peanut is not doing great.
I hate this wretched disease. So unfair. We have only had them for 8 weeks. Fingers crossed he can get through this.

i'm so sorry to hear about pixie:( i hope peanut can beat this wretched disease xxx

in my relatively short time of bunny companionship, i have never heard of so many buns - especially vaccinated ones - contracting this horrible disease:cry:

I think the reason you hear of vaccinated ones getting it on this forum is that almost all the buns on this forum are vaccinated - there are millions more poor unvaccinated buns out there who die from this and have little or not chance to recover - but their owners are not on this forum. The vaccination does NOT make it more likely your bun will get myxi.

I'm so sorry that you've lost Pixie and are now struggling to get Peanut through this dreadful disease.

There are quite a few threads on myxi at the moment which would be worth reading as you'll be able to see what experience others are having and how their buns are progressing. If you type 'myxi' into the search, this should bring the current threads up for you.

Vaccination is certainly not a waste of time, without it bunnies would stand next to no chance of recovery, but vaccinated bunnies with treatment and nursing care can and do pull through.

Thinking of you and sending loads of vibes for little Peanut. xx

Peanut is still struggling on. It's been 8 days since the first nodule appeared. He's got loads now all
over his body. Hes still eating but is very very quiet, not doing very much at all. I really hope he starts to show signs of improvement. He seems to have it quite badly despite being vaccinated. Come on peanut.

Keep fighting this, Peanut.

Sending him loads more vibes and hope he starts to show signs of recovering very soon. xxx

Don't want to tempt fate but there is a definite improvement today. He's been more active and has had a whole load of food. Even came to see me and stood up on his back legs which is more like his usual self. His poor face looks a mess and fur is falling out but hoping these will scab over and heal up. My poor boy. Thanks for your messages. It's such a worry with these delicate beautiful little darlings!

Don't want to tempt fate but there is a definite improvement today. He's been more active and has had a whole load of food. Even came to see me and stood up on his back legs which is more like his usual self. His poor face looks a mess and fur is falling out but hoping these will scab over and heal up. My poor boy. Thanks for your messages. It's such a worry with these delicate beautiful little darlings!
That is great news, I hope he continues to improve. Sending him lots of vibes for a quick and full recovery.

Back