• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*IMPORTANT*- Anyone With a VACCINATED Rabbit Who Contracts Myxomatosis

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
.............. either nodular or 'full blown'

I have been speaking with someone from the manufactures today. They say that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that every case of a vaccinated Rabbit contracting Myxi be reported to them.

Changes are afoot re the vaccine and more detailed information *should* be available at the start of next year.

So please make sure that your Vet does report EVERY case of nodular/'full blown' Myxi in vaccinated Rabbits.

Completely agree with this vets are obliged to report issues to manufacturers. This also goes for negative side effects from vaccinating too

I was chatting to my vet the other day about this and she said that when she phoned the vaccine company the other day (to check on whether I can have the babies re-vaccinated early) the manufacturers said they had had hardly any cases reported this year. She was amazed when i told her there were so many on here.

We reported ours when they happened and it really is VITAL - if you don't trust the vet to do it (they may be too busy) then do it yourself - I know its heartbreaking to have to discuss it all but it WILL help other rabbits in the long term.

Brilliant Jane, great idea. At least if they know what's going on, how the disease is manifesting itself, they can develop the vaccine.:thumb:

BUMPITTY BUMPP.

One of my Vets has just called. She has spoken with Intervet (AKA MSD Animal Health)

The new vaccine is still in the Trials stage. It will be a combo vaccine of both Myxomatosis/VHD to be given ONCE A YEAR

Full data will hopefully be available in January 2012 and the Vaccine is due to be launched 'in the first quarter of 2012'

My understanding is that the Myxi part of the Vaccine will still be derived from the Shope Fibroma Virus thus reall on cross immunity to give protection. I can only assume that there will have been some manipulation of the SFV to update it. But that is just my *unqualified* musings.

ETA- If you are going to report a case of Myxi in a vaccinated Rabbit yourself the contact details can be found here:

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/company/email-us.aspx

Last edited:
Back