• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heres a dillema.........

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
Greener the hay the better.....yes?

but the greener the hay the darker the poop?

their for surely the more gold the hay is the more gold the poop?, BUT the more gold it is the less nutrients in the hay surely?

When mine eat fresh grass which presumably is its most nutritious state their poops are smaller and darker.

I personally don't think colour matters that much. The important thing is that they are big and crumbly :) and not small and hard. Golden poos are always the optimum for my bunnies because mine prefer more golden hay.

Last edited:
:lol:

Don't worry. It doesn't matter if it's hay, grass, or dried grass - it's all the same!

Greener the hay the better.....yes?

but the greener the hay the darker the poop?

their for surely the more gold the hay is the more gold the poop?, BUT the more gold it is the less nutrients in the hay surely?

:wave: I'm not sure that there's less nutrients in golden rather than green hay. Is this a proven fact or are we guilty of believing the marketing hype of green (and expensive) hays?

I must admit, the last lot of hay I got from The dust Free Hay Company was very stalky but very golden. So much so that when I put it on my display stand, people commented "I didn't realise you could give them straw" :shock:. Hard to explain it was hay as it does look very straw like. However, it produces the biggest golden poos :oops:

I for one, think it's an interesting question :oops:;)

Dunno, but Louie turns his nose up at very green hay, even though I always think it looks the nicest! He much prefers the stuff that is yellower/browner.

I think it's more the size than colour, hay is usually a golden colour and is easy to see in bunny poo's, I can't imagine it being advised to look very close at poo's incase there's dark green hay in there, it's just hard to spot :lol:

Back