• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pleased with myself

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
My mum's new neighbour is a rescue person, she has 4 rescue dogs and 2 rescue cats and also works for a dog rescue. so I was guessing she must be a nice person although I have never even seen her. Anyway the other day my mum told me the family now had a rabbit. So I looked over the fence and saw a 3 ft double storey hutch and could see a little Nethie in there. There was clean water and hay in a hay rack. I told my mum one day soon I would call round with a bag of farm hay, introduce myself as another animal person and talk rabbits with the intention of making sure she had enough info to do good by the little bun.

Yesterday while at my mums I say her in the garden at the hutch so popped out (in my four inch high heals) across the muddy garden I went to the fence and started a conversation about rescue animals, telling her about my buns, the forum etc, etc. While there I noticed there was also a piggy in the hutch with the rabbit. So we had a conversation about that too.

Much to my delight not only does she seem a really nice person she listened to everything I said about bunnies and pigs, small hutches, getting them neutered, splitting them up. She even asked should she get a friend of their own kind for each of them. I didn't want to mention that at this point as she had already said she would split them and get bunny bigger housing, I didn't want to overwhelm her.

Anyway I am going to take her a pack of info round (housing, feeding, exercise and stimulation, spaying and neutering, etc) in the next couple of days and a bag of farm hay. It was so great to talk to someone who was receptive. I do talk to quite a few people in pet shops or other places where it comes up that I have rabbits and they have a rabbit but quite a few of them come up with excuses as to why they can't make the improvements I tell them about - you know the usual...'we haven't got the space for a bigger hutch... the pig and the rabbit have always lived together they get along fine...

So result!

Well done. :thumb:

I'm also impressed by the four inch heels. I couldn't walk in across anything, let alone over a muddy garden. :lol:

That's brilliant :D dont you just get that warm fuzzy feeling when someone else really cares, listens and wants to do their best for their furries :D

and.. 2 good deeds for the price of 1... aerating your mums lawn with the 4" heels :lol:

Great result! That's one thing I find difficult when talking to people about rabbits and giving advice - there's so much people usually aren't aware of its trying not to scare them off with too much info!

Well done. :thumb:

I'm also impressed by the four inch heels. I couldn't walk in across anything, let alone over a muddy garden. :lol:

Ooh, let us know what she does with them. Get her to join the forum so that we can see pics.

Pics, pics, love pics

Yes I had to actually stand in the flower bed with my heels sunk into the soil to get to the fence for the conversation... that's dedication for you. The shoes did get somewhat soiled (excuse the pun) but I had to grasp the opportunity.

Yes I am giving her the forum details, she seemed interested and I am also going to visit the dog rescue as she invited me :D

Brilliant! Good for you! You do still find people who will listen - I'm so shy I find it hard to say things to people though it has been known occasionally. Lovely to hear a success story xx

No point saying anything to my next-door-neighbours unfortunately. Their two bunnies (WHY they got a second rabbit when the first is totally ignored I don't know! :roll:) live in a horrible tiny divided-in-two hutch over run home-made set-up that they have escaped from loads of times. Together. No idea of the sex of the second bunny but if it's a girl there will soon be way more than two. They now have chickens in a too-small and inadequately protected set-up too. And the dogs never get walked and get horribly shouted at. Gets quite depressing!

Anyway; sorry for the rant! :oops: It's brilliant to hear of someone who took all the advice on board, it really is. There are people who still don't know the best way and are grateful for advice. I remember a little girl asking me about rats once when she found out I kept them and she sent me a huge thank-you letter and told me what she was going to do to make her single rats' life better (including adding more rats lol). Made me cry! :)

And am impressed with the high heels - I automatically went outside the other day to throw Whisper's toy for her when we came home (calms her down as she gets excited to see us lol) and realised my heels were sinking into the lawn! Ah well! The things we do! :p

Well done rabswood. Hopefully they will take full advantage of your knowledge.

Hanlou - how sad about your neighbours. You'd have thought your set-up would have shamed them into improving things and maybe asking for some help. I think I've put our neighbours off as they now realise rabbits now need lots of space and time after seeing my lot and what they get.

Well done rabswood. Hopefully they will take full advantage of your knowledge.

Hanlou - how sad about your neighbours. You'd have thought your set-up would have shamed them into improving things and maybe asking for some help. I think I've put our neighbours off as they now realise rabbits now need lots of space and time after seeing my lot and what they get.

I know. :(

But unfortunately they are the type that do things their own way and for the least amount of money possible. They did start letting their rabbit out after seeing my two binky about which was an improvement but they are *not* the type that would ask for advice. I have made loud comments to John when they are on their yard about rabbit set-ups, the necessity of hay, how neutering works wonders (Cloudy chases the girls as he's an obviously hormonal bunny!) Two winter's ago before we adopted Jack and Hollie I actually offered to adopt their then-single-and-only rabbit as the Bulldog puppy they had just got was attacking the hutch. But they 'loved him too much' - :roll: - to let him go. But they've bred rabbits before and then 'got rid' of them. They care in their own strange way but obviously think what they do is enough. Their attitude to animals is so different to ours and that's what it comes back down to. I heard the mum threaten to get rid of them to the kid who 'owns' them the other day when they kept escaping 'they're your ****** bunnies' - I'll get rid of them if you don't look after them better!' - I felt like shouting back "it isn't her responsiblity at 9 years old actually it's YOURS to make sure they are well fed, well cared for and kept secure in a decent sized set-up. A shame the so-called Freedoms can't be legally enforced.... :cry:

I know. :(

But unfortunately they are the type that do things their own way and for the least amount of money possible. They did start letting their rabbit out after seeing my two binky about which was an improvement but they are *not* the type that would ask for advice. I have made loud comments to John when they are on their yard about rabbit set-ups, the necessity of hay, how neutering works wonders (Cloudy chases the girls as he's an obviously hormonal bunny!) Two winter's ago before we adopted Jack and Hollie I actually offered to adopt their then-single-and-only rabbit as the Bulldog puppy they had just got was attacking the hutch. But they 'loved him too much' - :roll: - to let him go. But they've bred rabbits before and then 'got rid' of them. They care in their own strange way but obviously think what they do is enough. Their attitude to animals is so different to ours and that's what it comes back down to. I heard the mum threaten to get rid of them to the kid who 'owns' them the other day when they kept escaping 'they're your ****** bunnies' - I'll get rid of them if you don't look after them better!' - I felt like shouting back "it isn't her responsiblity at 9 years old actually it's YOURS to make sure they are well fed, well cared for and kept secure in a decent sized set-up. A shame the so-called Freedoms can't be legally enforced.... :cry:

That's so sad :(. If you give good housing, hay, space and neutering the majority of the time they are so easy to care for. Fair enough if all you have ever seen is a 4ft hutch (and you live in a bubble with no internet) with an unneutered bun and pet shops tell you no different but with you next door there is just no excuse.

Back