• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

-20 end of this month...

LittleJo

Young Bun
I was just wondering what eveyone will do if it does get this cold?
At the mo my 2 bunnies are outside in a 2 storey hutch with an extention bit on the bottom.
I don't know what to do with them if it really does get down to -20.

I've got a conservatory which I could put them, but like I've seen on another thread, once I've brought them in, they can'y go back out until March/April.

I can take the extention off of the front, which I thought I would do and cover the hutch in some old carpet and stuff the hutch with straw/shredded paper. Would that be warm enough?

xx

im facing the same dilemma :lol: but mine are in a shed. have you looked into snuggle safes they go in the microwave and buns can snuggle up to them. other than that a blanket over hutch and maybe a tarp or shower curtain over the top to keep them extra warm and waterproof :)

Where are you located? There are very few places in the UK that actually go to or below -20oC, so I wouldn't worry too much. My village got hit with -18oC last winter and mine were just fine in their shed, although they did have tons of hay and a heatpad each.

At that temperature I would bring them inside for the night, but first vent the rooms of all hot air to get the temperature down as much as possible and obviously turn the heating off. Especially since they do not have their winter coats yet, stupid warm spells.

At that temp i would make sure they have their bedroom in their hutch stuffed with straw. I would shut them in their hutch and use the shutters, hessian and tarp on the front. I think moving them would cause more stress and they would also need to stay inside until autam if they were brought inside. But i live in the south so we wont get -20. I cant remember what we got last year :?

If your looking for ideas on how to keep your rabbits warm this winter, have a look at my soon to be sticky thread :D http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?312704-Winter-care&highlight=winter+care

Last edited:
Really? Minus 20 by the end of this month? Who said that? I'll be forced to turn the heating on :lol:.

i hope that aint right :evil:
too cold too soon we get very cold up here :(
but i just give everyone tons of hay worked last year :)

My four are outside in the shed and I'm sure they will be ok. They've began to build up their winter coat, they always have plenty of hay and their partner to snuggle with. So long as they're out of any draughts then they'll be fine. The only problem is usually freezing water bottles.

Sacks to drop down over the mesh windows overnight
Cardboard boxes stuffed with hay. On the really could nights, snugglesafes.

That's it:oops:

My own rabbits have heating in their sheds, so I don't worry too much, apart from the electricity bill!!

The sanctuary rabbits have a double layer of bubble wrap over the entire hutches, and hutch covers stapled over the top. They will also have their bedrooms well stuffed with hay.
The weaker rabbits will be moved inside for the winter.

I wasn't expecting so many replies - thank you!! :D

I live near Oxford, so it probably wont get that cold here, but just want to be prepared!
I tried to make it really warm and snuggly in their upstairs for them last year, but they sat downstairs and wee'd all over the straw and shredded paper I'd used in the upstairs.

I'd love to make them their own hutch and for them to have their own heating!! We have got a pond in our garden, so we have got an electricity line out there - may be I could try and persuade my boyfriend to help me build something.....

If you have bunnies that live outside all year, please do not worry too much. They will develop the right coat to keep them warm. I would however be very worried if it comes on extremely quickly as they may not have the right coat.
My gang are indoors now so probably won't go out until Spring.
Usually I just make sure they have hay dens to burrow and snuggle into.

Thank you Spider.
Mine are out all year round. I have up-ed their food intake too, to get them ready for the cold weather over the winter
I would love to bring them, but as we have other indoor animals we don't really have the space, plus my boyfriend wont let me bring them in :(
And as I have 2, they can snuggle up with eachother too :)

I've heard its going to start getting abit colder on Tuesday. Apparently we are going to have a lovely weekend - up around the 20's!! :D

Back