• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loss of Appetite

Dave81

Mama Doe
Me again!!!!

One of my bunnies (Jezebel) appears to not be eating as much she is usually quite greedy and rushes to the food bowl to wolf it down. I've noticed since last night she doesn't appear to be doing that, she is however still eating just not as much as before

She had half a carrot for the 1st time last night so i'm wondering if that maybe put some strain on her stomach?? I have just given her a few basil leaves which she enjoyed.

Am I just been an over protective father do you think or should I ring for her to go to the vets? Or shall I just monitor her more closely as I know she is eating tit bits that i'm feeding her?

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure on that as they both use the same litter tray so its pretty much impossible for me to tell, the poo in there all looks fine I just can't tell if its from both of them or not.

I have since rung the vet and I'm going to take her down later on this evening to have her checked out.

I'm not 100% sure on that as they both use the same litter tray so its pretty much impossible for me to tell, the poo in there all looks fine I just can't tell if its from both of them or not.

I have since rung the vet and I'm going to take her down later on this evening to have her checked out.

Seems like a sensible idea
Good luck x

Sometimes if you refresh the tray and watch them you can tell whose poos are whose from where they are sitting. It's still not easy though!

Hi there

Carrots are very high in sugar, so you may have given her a little too much. They should really only be fed as a treat and not in such a big quantity - an inch of carrot would be more than enough. If I give them to by bunny, he gets gas and tummy pain and then will start to lose interest in his food altogether. Be careful in feeding sugary foods, as you don't want to end up with your bunny going into GI stasis. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the responses there much appreciated :)

Due at the vets in just under an hour so I will provide an update later

back from the vets, Fluffy is fine I took her along just in case.

Jezebel has an abscess on the back of her head inbetween her ears. She has had an antibiotic shot and anti inflammatory. I have some Baytril to give her twice a day, A follow up appointment is booked for this Friday

Back