• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weird substance on fur after neuter? Just need a bit of reassurance.

jackandsally

Warren Scout
Dillon was castrated yesterday (although was originally a spay but then they found his testicles which were retained), so they had to go in through his abdomen and to remove the one that was stuck. His wound isn't the tidiest still a bit swollen and red which is understandable and the one staple fell out, I've just found it on the floor no blood or anything on it, he has internal stitches which will dissolve, the staple was just an extra precaution she wasn't originally going to use any. I've checked his wound and it hasn't opened at all just looks sore still will check again at 2 on my break from work. If it looks worse at all we will take him straight back obviously.

When we got him back last night he had what feels like vaseline almost on his back fur and around the top of his hind legs, we washed most of it off with a damp cloth and brushed it out. Any ideas what this could be?? It's making him look raggy poor soul and he's been grooming himself a fair bit. Just a bit worried. He's been eating from the moment he got home starting with herbs, and he's been munching hay and more herbs all morning. He's pooped loads, they are a bit black this morning but not soft or sticky. He's only had a couple of tiny wees but he hasn't drank much, just had a small bowl of water that I had some herbs lying in this morning to try to get him to drink. Does this sound okay??

Sorry for the message and I think I just needed to tell someone since I'm off to work soon. He doesn't seem too bad in himself, still coming over to me for a sniff and a little head butt for a stroke. Think I might be more worried since this is my first rabbit and I've hated putting him through this all and was a bit more complicated yesterday than we thought. :oops:

Im unsure...I know that when bunnies have a GA some vets smear stuff on the eyes to keep them moist as they dont close and will go dry during an op.Is it possible they dropped some stuff on his fur??? or could he have tried to clean himself and got it all over??
Why not ring the vet and ask??

Yes it could be that actually he's so clean and always grooming, he could have rubbed it on himself. I'm going to give them a ring when I get home just to tell them about the staple. Might pop him into the local branch tomorrow as it's just down the road and get the vet there to have a look see what they think as well instead of rushing straight back to a and e they can always send me on to the hospital if they think he needs any more treatment. He's doing really well considering, he's starting to beg at the fridge for food again so I'm pleased he's hungry and he's coming out of his shell a lot more. :)

Well got through to the vet, they said it'll just be critical care that's gotten in his fur when they've been trying to syringe him and it's dried in his fur. Just tried to get the last bit off. His appetite is amazing eating everything in sight but he's still not drinking much but I'm soaking his herbs in water so he's getting some fluids in him and taking little sips now and again. Still might take him to the vet tomorrow, even if I'm going to look paranoid and a worry wart. Thanks Yvette. :wave:

Back