• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infection/ possible EC - any advice? Wobbly rabbit

DDD

Mama Doe
Desmond has been wobbly since Saturday. He was well all day, and at about 6pm, I went to put the boys back in their shed, and Desmond had a funny turn, was all wobbly and rolling over. This didn't last long, I put him in his carrier so he felt safe and couldn't hurt himself. He went straight to the emergency vets, and she said possible ear infection or maybe EC. He is being treated for both. He had antibiotic injection at the vets, and I have antibiotics and panacur to give him here. Currently the boys are living in my front room in a large dog crate as Desmond would fall off the levels in their shed in his current wobbly state. He isn't rolling anymore. He is just very wobbly, like he is a bit drunk. Otherwise, he seems perfectly normal. He is eating, he has been hopping (well, in a funny way!) around the house.

Basically now, he is wobbly and his eyes are moving alot. Anyone have any experiences of this, or had bunnies who learnt to live with it. My vet has said to give treatment for ear infection for 7 days, and to go back if I am worried, panacur for 28 days.

Just wanted some vibes really for my little old boy, and any help/ advice would be appreciated.

Sounds just like a bunny with EC. The eye wobbling sounds like Nystagmus. My Kermit had it.

Often with EC bunnies, they get worse before better. I personally would suggest that he should also be on Metacam as this both helps with EC or IEI as it reduces inflammation and assists with any pain. I would also suggest that he needs longer than one weeks antibiotics. My boy had a 6 week course.

As long as your boy is eating / drinking / peeing / pooing, then he is fighting through this. As i said, he can get worse, but bunnies can get through this.

Vibes from me x

Last edited:
Poor lad

Is he having Metacam too. A NSAID is an essential, not only to address any issues of pain but just as important is to control inflammation within the CNS. It is the inflammation that causes the clinical symptoms. With EC it is especially important to control inflammation as any inflammatory changes occurring in response to erupting EC spores leads to permanent cellular damage.

Some Vets will say that the Rabbit is 'not in pain' so therefore a NSAID is unnecessary. Personally I would not agree with this, although of course my opinion is unqualified.

Lots of vibes being set xx

Oh poor Desmond and poor you :(

Can I ask what antibiotics hes on? My bun Mimi had head tilt with the eye flicking (nystagmus) and hers was due to an ear infection. It can sometimes be difficult to tell whether it is EC or an infection, so unless its apparant its important to cover both bases. An aggressive antibiotic is important.

Also 100% agree about giving some Metacam (NSAID) It made all the difference in easing Mimis symptoms :wave:

Can I ask what antibiotics hes on? My bun Mimi had head tilt with the eye flicking (nystagmus) and hers was due to an ear infection. It can sometimes be difficult to tell whether it is EC or an infection, so unless its apparant its important to cover both bases. An aggressive antibiotic is important.

Also 100% agree about giving some Metacam (NSAID) It made all the difference in easing Mimis symptoms :wave:

Agreed, my Mischa had the nystagmus and head tilt and difficulty standing. The vet we had at the time put him on baytril and steroid injections (along with metacam and panacur). It was until he came off the steroids allowing his immune system to do it's thing and the baytril to start working that he started showing gradual improvement. If it had occurred now with what I now know I would've been asking for a stronger antibiotic.

He is having Marbocyl 2% 1ml daily. He had Colvasone injection at the vets, and is having 1/2 a graduation of panacur a day.

He is so bright, I'm sure if I felt like him I wouldn't be so happy!!!

Is Colvasone a steroid? Comet had a steriod injection too and is also doing surprisingly well. I was expecting him to get worse before better but aside from a bit wobbly he's his normal self. I know there is a lot of varying opinion on steriod use but I wonder if they are more benefitical than a NSAID in these cases.

He is having Marbocyl 2% 1ml daily. He had Colvasone injection at the vets, and is having 1/2 a graduation of panacur a day.

He is so bright, I'm sure if I felt like him I wouldn't be so happy!!!

Marbocyl is what Mimi was on and it worked a treat :thumb:

How is he today? They do cope so well, its amazing! :love:

Oh poor little boy:( Basil had EC, although he did make a reasonable recovery from it and lost most of his head tilt quite quickly. Sending lots of vibes for Desmond.

Back