• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fluffy is sneezing

Dave81

Mama Doe
I have read a few threads tonight to try and get some more information.

Fluffy is sneezing every so often, has been for a couple of days now, there is no discharge or signs of it on her paws. This makes me think she is having some reaction to dust??

I have already gotten rid of the sawdust and replaced it with some dust free bedding can't recall its name right now but I know it's been recommended on this forum. My next step was going to try the dust free hay company place also recommend from this forum.

Does anyone else have any experiences with sneezing bunnies? When we went for vaccinations the other day the vet said it could well be dust or allergic to something in the house

Cheers

If there is no snot on her nostrils or paws where she wipes her face, then it could be anything from an upper respiratory infection to an allergy.As shes seen the vet, then all I can think of is the bedding youre using.Is it dust free hay?? If youre using megazorb,exactly how much of it???

They have care fresh down on the cage floors around 1 inch thick, I haven't put any other bedding down just yet due to the sneezing.

In the litter tray we have some confetti type absorbing product with straw on top, the hay racks have Timothy hay in them. I don't honestly think the straw is dust few which is why i'm thinking of changing it over.

Actually do they need straw or can I just use hay for bedding, eating and litter tray?

P.M. they are house bunnies so that's why I haven't put them a thick bedding in yet as i'm trying to get to the bottom of the problem

Hay all round is better.Straw has no calorific value or any vitamins or whatever.
How long has the sneezing been going on???
Its going to be a question of elimination me thinks.

This is the fourth day now, I do see an improvement with her when she comes out of the cage and run.

Thanks i'm going to get in the dust free hay and see what effect that has

Back