• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tottis ear abscess - latest pic

luvabun

Warren Veteran
It's hard to believe that I've been cleaning out his ear abscess daily for just over a year now :shock: . To be honest, after having the quality of life chat with the Vet way back in Feb, when we agreed that at his age it wouldn't be right to put him through any more major operations, I didn't expect him to still be here 9 months later. He's now pushing 10 :love:. On Saturday afternoon I discovered a marble sized lump in the ear I'm cleaning out :cry: . I don't trust the emergency Vets as his is a special case and we went to his regular wonder Vet today.

The outcome is, yes it is another abscess but was opened up under local and the result is I now have 2 to clean out in the same ear. I am totally guided by my brave Tottmeister in this. Whilst ever he is happy and otherwise healthy, I'll carry on. Daft as it sounds, I see that he still has the oomph to jump into pots :oops:. That to me proves he has energy and the will to live.

Pic taken today

noodles014.jpg

Last edited:
Bless him...

Have you tried syringing manuka honey, high factor, into the abscess cavity, out of interest? It heals seemingly the unhealable sometimes...

Bless him...

Have you tried syringing manuka honey, high factor, into the abscess cavity, out of interest? It heals seemingly the unhealable sometimes...

:wave: Hi, I syringe medical grade manuka honey into the abscess cavity after I think I've squeezed most of the pus out. I then massage around and the honey plus more pus comes oozing out :shock:. I do that until it's just honey then I squeeze the anitbiotic drops in. I've even found a way of getting the honey in when the drain hole is closing up and is too small for the syringe.

But it's a pig of an abscess and it starts producing pus again and the cycle continues.

I must say that apart from when the wound has been reopened and is understandably sensitive, Totti is a gem and sits their so patiently whilst I do this, bless him.

Wee soul x

What UMF Grade is the medical manuka honey? Just asking as i dont think that it is as high as 25+ and i think that might be worth a shot as it might be better.

Seems like one tough little cookie you have there.

Wee soul x

What UMF Grade is the medical manuka honey? Just asking as i dont think that it is as high as 25+ and i think that might be worth a shot as it might be better.

Seems like one tough little cookie you have there.

:wave: This is the one I'm using as it's the one the Vet used when we first tried this. Rightly or wrongly, I'm convinced by the blurb about it being about more than the numerical factor but thank you for the suggestion, all gratefully received for my, yes, tough old boy :love:

http://www.medicalhoney.com/

Oh bless him, and you for being so diligent and cleaning it for him. As long as he's otherwise healthy, and happy which he looks like he is! :love:

What a brave little soldier. :love:
And very commendable of you to have such a selfless view on the situation. You must be a brilliant bunny mummy. :love:

:oops: Red and Pie, thank you for your positive comments about my bunny care - it means a lot.

I'm absolutely dreading the day I may have to make a certain decision but he is such a happy bun with his pals, we're not there yet.

Oh Poor Tottis, what a brave boy. Its never easy seeing loads of pus ooze out of such small animals. I was shocked what came out of my chinchillas eye, well it was the tear duct, but didn't know for sure at the time. Took months of treatment before he recovered. Hope it manages to heal.

Oh Poor Tottis, what a brave boy. Its never easy seeing loads of pus ooze out of such small animals. I was shocked what came out of my chinchillas eye, well it was the tear duct, but didn't know for sure at the time. Took months of treatment before he recovered. Hope it manages to heal.
Unfortunately Amanda it's a maintenance job as it will never go away unless we go for major intrusive surgery which the Vet and I agree is not an option at his age.

Back