• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to encourage using a ramp

supermum

Young Bun
I have had my bun for 3 days now, we keep her in a Mollys Mansion. however to get her into the run bit we have to pick her up and put her in, she isnt keen on being picked up (she will sit on our knee if we are low to the floor, its the standing she hates) she lets us know she isnt happy by nipping us. I have no idea how to get her down the ramp, she can get up fine though. (unless she is being stubborn and we have to lift her in to shut her away for the night).

I have tried putting pieces of veg on it the first couple days but it made no difference, she pokes her nose out and puts her front paws on then goes back in. I have also tried a wider ramp with carpet for grip, but she still didnt like it and it just took up alot of room from the run. I really want to be able to open her door and her to be able to go down as and when she wants too so we dont have to stress her out picking her up (except for a 5 min lap cuddle per day) it would also be better for her owner (my 11yr old daughter) as I dont really want her to need to lift her (as if Teddy kicks she might drop her accidently, plus I dont really want her nipped). I want Teddy to have a fully trusting relationship with her so she will go up to her for petting herself (or climb on her lap if she wants to)

It's normal for rabbits to dislike being picked up, especially at height so it's nothing against you. I would persist with the food idea on the ramp, but put little bits in a trail all the way down to try and encourage her to keep going one step further - somebuns take to ramps straight away others take longer but she will get there in the end i am sure.

Thanks for your replies, I will continue putting food on the ramp and see if I can coax her down. She is 7mths old but was found by a friend of mine abandoned in a back garden, from what I gather she has only ever been in a single story hutch and probably hasnt had any time out (though I cant be sure on that)

She is a sweety most of the time and seems to love playing tug of war with her hay treat, she is straight over when we have that (though I could be reading her wrong and she could be telling us to get off it, she does throw it in the air and seems to wait until we grab it again before jumping on it though lol) I guess small animals just dont feel safe up high, mind i dont like heights so dont blame her haha x

Is the ramp slippery or at a steepish angle? Some people attach carpet to ramps to give them a bit more grip. :)

Its the ramp that goes with it so has a gritty texture to stop her slipping, it does seem quite steep to me though, (but then I have no idea what is steep to a bun lol)

Its the ramp that goes with it so has a gritty texture to stop her slipping, it does seem quite steep to me though, (but then I have no idea what is steep to a bun lol)

Will it move at all? Sometimes you can raise the bottom of the ramp with a brick to level out the steepness.

Im not sure, I think it clips on so not sure it will move, I will get the other half to try it though see if it helps.

Oh dear, I put food down it yesterday and put a brick underneath and couldnt of secured it properly because it fell off! Luckily she didnt fall but she had he front legs on, she wont go near it at all now, I hope I havent scared her forever :cry:

Back