• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

trios

lucy24

Mama Doe
i was just wondering what ithe best match for a trio is? I crrently have a bonded M/F pair. would it be best to add a boy or girl? what sort of temperment? My boy charlie is very layed back-doesnt hump lol whereas Honey is quite highly strung. just thinking for future reference thats all;)
Also what is the space requirements for a trio? thank you:wave:

I would say it very much depends on the rabbits.

The issue you do have is that if it doesnt work you run the risk of ending up with three single buns, do you have the space to deal with that if it happens? Some do say that one bun gets left out in a trio, is a group of four or two pairs an option?

Space wise will depend partly on the rescue requirements but I would say a min of a shed or playhouse with a run attached. With bonding you need to increase space gradually however so they wouldnt be able to go into the accomodation straight away

:wave: It's so hard to judge and is totally dependent on the personality of the buns. I currently have a trio of 2 males and 1 female. These became a trio last year when the previous male member of the trio went to the Bridge. So in my experience, 2 males plus 1 female has worked. However, the bonding was not straightforward for the first trio and was nearly aborted. It was the female that caused the problems.

Just because I've had trios successfully does not mean I would try it again. Totti, is a member of the trio and at nearly 10 and with a chronic ear abscess, his time on this earth is limited :cry:. I have a single male bun but have just got him a potential girlfriend as I do not think he has the right personality to take Tottis place when the inevitable happens.

They have a clearly defined pecking order i.e. Kiki is the boss, Totti the elder statesman that they respect and Bugsy, the bottom of the pile. Thankfully he's happy with that but there's many a bun that wouldn't be.

Hope that helps.

Sorry I can't advise on minimum space requirements.

well im not planning on doing it anytime soon but was thinking about next year sometime. thinking about it i might prefer another pair from a rescue. I dont really want to risk breaking honey and charlies bond- thankls for the advice!:D

well im not planning on doing it anytime soon but was thinking about next year sometime. thinking about it i might prefer another pair from a rescue. I dont really want to risk breaking honey and charlies bond- thankls for the advice!:D

Thats probably a better option to be honest and pairs are harder to home than singles so you would be helping that way too :D

i have a male/2 female trio and to be honest i would be very dubious about doing it again.

buddy my male lost his partner last year and i got 2 females together ready bonded. they were young and all got on great but as the girls grew Blousy got so aggresive with Lula i had to split the girls and though both were still spending time with Bud it was all very stressful for them and me.
after spaying and waiting weeks it took 2 attempts to re bond fully. even now 99% of the time things are fine but now and then the girls still have spats though nothing as serious as before, just a bit of chasing, then 5 mins later they are all sat snuggling! :roll:

i am glad i persevered as it is lovely to see them together but if i had a happy duo i would be very cautious about changing it. :)

I have a trio ( 2 girls and a boy). It is soooo worth seeing them as a happy snuggling bunny family. :love::love:

I have a male / female pair and a single female who I am going to try and bond with them. She was neutered 4 weeks ago so am thinking about it soon!! Wish me luck!! My worst fear is that she'll upset Jake and Jasmine. Hazels run is about 3 foot away from Jake and Jasmines. They can see her. I am going to move the runs next to each other so they can have a sniff.

I have a male / female pair and a single female who I am going to try and bond with them. She was neutered 4 weeks ago so am thinking about it soon!! Wish me luck!! My worst fear is that she'll upset Jake and Jasmine. Hazels run is about 3 foot away from Jake and Jasmines. They can see her. I am going to move the runs next to each other so they can have a sniff.
:wave: What is Plan B if Jake and Jasmines bond falls apart?

Jake and Jasmine are already bonded. I want to add Hazel to make a threesome. Are you asking what if Jake and Jasmine fall apart? Well, I am taking it really slowly. Hazel has been about 3 foot from Jake and Jasmine for the past 4 weeks. So, they've been able to see her. I've been stroking Hazel and then going into Jake and Jasmine and then letting them sniff me, swapping bowls etc. Today, I moved Hazels run next to Jake and Jasmines. Jake dosnt seem that bothered. Jasmine is abit more frisky, running up and down the fence which is why I want to take it slowly. The last thing I want to do is upset their bond so I'll see how they get on being next to each other.
If that goes okay, then I was going to move Hazels run into Jake and Jasmines run (they have a big run). Obviously moving Hazel into their territory will be a big step so,I'll have to see how it goes.
If it all goes terribly wrong my neice has a lone male rabbit. She was interested in Hazel maybe for a companion for hers - but hopefully they'll get on. :D

Jake and Jasmine are already bonded. I want to add Hazel to make a threesome. Are you asking what if Jake and Jasmine fall apart?

:wave: Yes I was. Fingers crossed that introducing Hazel won't cause an irreversable split between Jake and Jasmine.

Back