• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having myxo jab at the end of the month...

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Dreading it as so many have that blasted disease on here right now.
BB has just had his jab,so far so good.Hes in with Lily......
Its so worrying.

Why so many bunnies???

I wonder if it's due to the unusually warm weather? More biting insects. Hope they were good.

Ginger still can't have hers :( - but im not going to worry :)

Biccys due soon too, but he can have his :)

I need to start getting mine vax'd but with Sooo many buns who've had the jab getting myxi, im not so sure :/ x

I need to start getting mine vax'd but with Sooo many buns who've had the jab getting myxi, im not so sure :/ x

You don't know how many vaccinated bunnies have already fought off myxo due to having the vaccination and strong immunity, so haven't got it, so if you're basing it on the vaccinated bunnies on here getting it, then you're basing it on inaccurate figures and a biased view.

If someone gets their bunnies vaccinated then they have done everything they can to help them keep as safe as possible. The only exception to that is those too ill to be vaccinated, and then it's too risky to vaccinate them (so by not vaccinating they are keeping them as safe as possible).

If someone has a healthy rabbit that they chose not to vaccinate then if the rabbit gets myxo that person will always wonder whether or not had they vaccinated, they could have saved their rabbit, and if that person learns more about rabbits then likely that will haunt them forever. That's looking purely from the point of view of the person, let alone the point of view of a rabbit who maybe may have been saved by a vaccination the owner chose not to give.

IM very interested in Janes thread about the manufacturers wanting to know if vacced buns are getting myxo.
Does this mean that they think the vacc should be 100 per cent or is myxo mutating into a harder form to vacc against thus they need to improve it??

IM very interested in Janes thread about the manufacturers wanting to know if vacced buns are getting myxo.
Does this mean that they think the vacc should be 100 per cent or is myxo mutating into a harder form to vacc against thus they need to improve it??

As far as I understand it, it mutates regularly and some seasons it mutates more (seasons like this, and that in 2007) and then they need to adjust the vaccine because it doesn't cover as much as it should.

I think in 2007 it was something like only 20% of vaccinated rabbits were actually covered against myxo because the strain mutated and killed a lot of vaccinated rabbits with full blown myxo.

As far as I understand it, it mutates regularly and some seasons it mutates more (seasons like this, and that in 2007) and then they need to adjust the vaccine because it doesn't cover as much as it should.

I think in 2007 it was something like only 20% of vaccinated rabbits were actually covered against myxo because the strain mutated and killed a lot of vaccinated rabbits with full blown myxo.

Scary! :shock:

Scary! :shock:

yes Susie,it is but at the same time,manufacturers want the best vaccine they can produce if the disease mutates like this every so often.
By vaccinating our buns,we are doing our very best to protect our pets and to keep the disease as far away as possible from affecting our bunnies.

I cant believe what has been happening on the forum...Ive not been on for a while for various reasons....and am concerned as my buns used to get 6month myxi vacs...but last time the vet (not one I usually see) said they only need yearly as there are not any wild buns in my garden...they are a couple of miles down the road...but mine dont mix with them....so I didnt get their 6 month booster...its been bugging me ever since and now Im wondering if Ive done the right thing. :?

Back