• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feeding Recovery Formula & meds with syringe

Vita

Mama Doe
Hi,

I've been thrown in at the deep end with one of my new rabbits. She had to go to the emergency vet this evening with diarrhoea. Amazingly, the antibiotic injection already seems to be working as all the droppings in her carrier on the way home were normal.

I've been given three things to feed her: Fibreplex, Recovery Formula and an antibiotic.

I was worried as I've never medicated a rabbit before. I have helped medicate cats on a couple of occasions, and that was like a military operation.

But she is a friendly, docile creature and, whilst wrapped up in a towel - as I need both hands to control the syringe - she accepted the Fibreplex and even chewed enthusiastically on the syringe. I don't think she swallowed all of the dose, though, as there was a little of the gel below her mouth.
How much does this matter? And is there any way to make sure an animal takes all its medicine?

I then tried her with the Recovery Formula. She wasn't nearly so keen on this syringe (perhaps it doesn't taste very nice) and I think the little I tried to give her ended up on her and on the towel. I put the rest of it in her water bowl, but she sniffed it and then ignored it. How can I make sure she takes it.

The vet made it sound quite easy, as if they'll swallow what is squirted into their mouths, provided it's done slowly so they don't inhale liquid.

Incidentally, she is still eating hay, but perhaps not quite so much as she did yesterday. She has never completely stopped eating.

I really need some advice on how to get this right, so she keeps getting better. I have to give her the antibiotic tomorrow morning too, which is even more important.

Thanks in advance.

I do the same with my buns (well the wriggly ones anyway) and wrap them in a towel, then put them in the crook of my arm. I put the syringe in that gap in the side of their mouths, rather than in the front, its slightly easier to get the syringe in there. I don't think it matters if a tiny bit goes on their chin, they will usually lick it off themselves anyway.

If they have had excess cecals then I think high fibre such as eating hay is good for their tums, so great that she is eating hay, and good you have fibreplex too.

Did the vet know why your bun had the diarrhoea/excess cecals at all? Hope she will soon be feeling better, sounds like she is taking her meds like a good girl. :)

Thanks very much for your reply.

The poor creatures have been back and forth to the vet daily... they're not terribly ill, but haven't got better straightforwardly either.
Thankfully Beatrix is taking the Baytril ok, but she rejected the Fibreplex in the morning and thereafter, so I resorted to painting it on to her front so she consumes some when she washes herself.

Re. causes, the first vet said it was probably a mixture of infection + stress from change of environment.

The second vet said the Recovery Formula wasn't so important as they are eating ok. (Though the box has led to me addressing the bunnies "Hello, recovering small herbivores" sometimes :D ) He also gave me some BioLapis which I've been sprinkling on their pellets and water and they seem to have consumed quite a bit of it.

The third vet gave them each a single dose of something against coccidiosis. The way the diarrhoea is presenting now looks more like ISS /ISC rather than the worrying watery stuff there was on Sunday. He recommended I start introducing green veg ASAP, don't give them any more carrot or apple even in small amounts, and in the long run aim for a hay & veg diet, though he said I should still feed them pellets now as they are young. And to leave a few weeks before using Panacur or getting their jabs so they can have a rest.

I now have a problem with a dirty bunny (the other one) who won't stay still and upside-down long enough for me to clean her properly. That needs another thread :(

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi! Im glad the buns are still eating. :)
The vet is right in saying the recovery is not essential if bun is still eating....any runny bums need to have more fibre...so hay hay hay! :) How old are they? Obviously pellets are needed for the extra nutrients we cant give them as they would in the wild....but Id reduce the pellets until their ceacs and poops are normal and then increase the pellets if needed. Bramble leaves & hawthorn are great fibre too...and dry well for storage too.

I find when i have to clean my buns dirty bum....one of them is abit sensitive and every now & then gets an upset tummy...I hold her in one hand half back against me...so she is not totally on her back unless she shifts herself to lay back more...I use an old dish towel that I wet a corner of and then keep dipping it into some water...and then use the half thats dry to dry her with.
I also sometimes use my fingers to try and break up and dry furs so i dont have to spend gaes useing a cloth etc....gross I know...but Id rather get her clean and comfy than worry about poop on my hands.

Id introduce veges very very slowly if they are having any tummy issues...my bins dont get hardly any veges as it upsets them....I forage for wild plants and foliage and herbs for mine as its more natural than vegetables and doesnt upset their tums. If you really want to give them veges then introduce a small piece for more than one week to see how it effects their tums...even if they love it it doesnt mean it wont give them runny poops. The slowly introduce the next one. Be aware than brassicas are quite gassy and not great for sensitive bunny tums;)

Back