• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Good rabbit vet near Reading, Berkshire ??

I am on the hunt for a vet who has special interest or who would be recommended for rabbits.... if they have experience of giant rabbits even better!
thank you!

Which side of Reading are you?

If you are Wokingham side then depending on what you are looking for - go to Ivan Crotaz at Kynochs Harmans Water (just along the A329M) or Kate Marriot at Kynochs Crowthorne both are excellent with bunnies.

And all of the vets at the Wokingham branch are good with exotics but don't see as many bunnies as the other two. http://www.kynochvets.co.uk/

Thank you so much... I will maybe take to to the one is Bracknell as he is down on the staff list as special interest in bunnies! Thank you very much, I really appreciate everyone's help on here. Charlie is such a fantastic house bunny and I am desperate for him to always be able to be as happy running around and playing as he is when he is well so want to get to the bottom of the issue.
thanks again.

Thank you so much... I will maybe take to to the one is Bracknell as he is down on the staff list as special interest in bunnies! Thank you very much, I really appreciate everyone's help on here. Charlie is such a fantastic house bunny and I am desperate for him to always be able to be as happy running around and playing as he is when he is well so want to get to the bottom of the issue.
thanks again.

Yes, Ivan has a particular interest in rabbits and between him and Kate (who does Tuesday afternoons at Harmans Water too) they treat all of my own 24 bunnies and have done a good deal of our rescue work too.

Feel sure that both will have had experience with mega colon if that is what it turns out to be, but will have also seen other ailments that might explain your bun's issues.

Hope you can get the help you want.

'The Duchess' (recommendation above) knows a good bunny vet when she sees one!!

May be worth mentioning when you first ring that it may be a long consult . . and that its a complex case. Mega colon would usually result in very large poos - often rugby ball shaped (the normal poo, not the caecotrophs - they do not change with mega colon as far as I know). But the twitching does sound like stones or something else painful.

Last edited:
Back