• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HOT TOPIC!! Myxomatosis....

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
Right, I have a few questions :wave:

Can the myxomatosis stop vaccine stop the animal from contracting the virus if it is bitten by an insect?

If a portion of the vaccine is NOT administered in the scruff/ear, can this make the vaccine nul?

To obtain maximum cover 10% of the vaccine needs to go into the dermis. The easiest place to do this is at the base of an ear as that is where the skin is thickest. You can do the intradermal dose into the scruff by drawing the needle back. But as the skin is thinner it is more difficult to feel the needle go into the dermis and it relies a lot more on the skill of the person administering the vaccine.

No vaccine can give 100% protection. A good immune response is needed and there are some circumstances whereby an individual Rabbit does not have one, thus rendering the vaccine less effective. The Myxomatosis vaccine also relies on a cross-over immune response as the vaccine is not derived from the Myxoma Virus but from the Shope Fibroma Virus.

Say 7 of my 7 bunnies are vaccinated... the mossie bit all of them, and 4 come down with it, could the other 3 be saved because the vaccine has stopped them from getting it in the first place?

Say 7 of my 7 bunnies are vaccinated... the mossie bit all of them, and 4 come down with it, could the other 3 be saved because the vaccine has stopped them from getting it in the first place?

Yes, or they may 'just' get the nodular form from which a full recovery is possible.

Yes, or they may 'just' get the nodular form from which a full recovery is possible.

Yes I am aware of the nodular form, but I'm glad that the vaccine can stop them getting it in the first place!

Haven't some vets spoken about have the vaccine 3 times a year?

Yes I am aware of the nodular form, but I'm glad that the vaccine can stop them getting it in the first place!

Haven't some vets spoken about have the vaccine 3 times a year?

Not sure, but Scamper and Carrot got it three months after vaccination, so would have needed it more than 4 times a year if that could have prevented it... :?

as Jacks Jane also mentioned - the vaccination also relies for its effect on the initial immune response of the rabbit to the vaccine. If for whatever reason the bun does not mount a good immune response to the vaccine then, when the myxi really comes along, its body will again not mount a good immune response.

Reasons for not mounting a good response t the vaccine vary (some buns just don't, some may have an underlying illness at the time of vaccination, others may have had some other vaccine or operation etc too close to the vaccine so not feel at their best, ).

My Hawthorn had been vaccinated every six months, and just one month before getting myxi - and yet had no immune response at all and got full blown myxi. We think he just did not have any immune response to the vaccine for some reason.

This is all very useful. How can you distinguish between nodular and full blown - what are the signs? :?

This is all very useful. How can you distinguish between nodular and full blown - what are the signs? :?

I've had 9 bunnies get nodular myxi over my years of rabbit keeping and one who got full blown....she was NOT vaccinated because of other health issues.

All the nodular cases presented with just the lumps (nodules) but also had snuffles and a couple had gunky eyes , only the full blown one had the swollen eyes .

Initial sign for my nodular cases was simply noticing a nodule, in a lot of them this was on the tip of their nose , other nodules followed on most but I have to say this years cases have had only 1 or 2 nodules each and thats despite being right at the end of their vaccination time .

The cases I've had this year haven't even had the gential swelling really :?

In my experience its extremely variable.

I've had 9 bunnies get nodular myxi over my years of rabbit keeping and one who got full blown....she was NOT vaccinated because of other health issues.

All the nodular cases presented with just the lumps (nodules) but also had snuffles and a couple had gunky eyes , only the full blown one had the swollen eyes .

Initial sign for my nodular cases was simply noticing a nodule, in a lot of them this was on the tip of their nose , other nodules followed on most but I have to say this years cases have had only 1 or 2 nodules each and thats despite being right at the end of their vaccination time .

The cases I've had this year haven't even had the gential swelling really :?

In my experience its extremely variable.

So if she has swollen eyes and genital swelling with no nodules does that mean it's full blown? :(

So if she has swollen eyes and genital swelling with no nodules does that mean it's full blown? :(

I've worried you now haven't I?

I'm not a vet Tinsel so I don't honestly know, as I said it seems to be extremely variable ,I've had one bunny who was so covered in nodules it was unreal and then the ones with only one :?

I'm fairly sure the cases Twigs has had had swollen eyes and I'm sure I've seen other references to swollen eyes from other people on here with nodular myxi bunnies too, I'm only speaking about my own experiences with my bunnies , I really didn't mean to panic you.x

I've worried you now haven't I?

I'm not a vet Tinsel so I don't honestly know, as I said it seems to be extremely variable ,I've had one bunny who was so covered in nodules it was unreal and then the ones with only one :?

I'm fairly sure the cases Twigs has had had swollen eyes and I'm sure I've seen other references to swollen eyes from other people on here with nodular myxi bunnies too, I'm only speaking about my own experiences with my bunnies , I really didn't mean to panic you.x

Aw it's okay I'm just worried because her poor little eyes are so swollen. I would have thought that no nodules was a good thing but am starting to wonder if that means it's not nodular. :cry: I have a vets appt and she was eating a bit this morning, plus has been on antibiotics since Saturday morning. Another worry is that her having the myxi jab on Friday, before it appeared, is having an effect too - maybe it's worsening what would have been a mild case..:?

Aw it's okay I'm just worried because her poor little eyes are so swollen. I would have thought that no nodules was a good thing but am starting to wonder if that means it's not nodular. :cry: I have a vets appt and she was eating a bit this morning, plus has been on antibiotics since Saturday morning. Another worry is that her having the myxi jab on Friday, before it appeared, is having an effect too - maybe it's worsening what would have been a mild case..:?

Hope she gets on ok at the vets . xx

Also - my vet said it depends on the health of the bun at vaccination time. If their immune system is compromised, it may be ineffective. This is why healthchecks are important at time of vaccine

Also - my vet said it depends on the health of the bun at vaccination time. If their immune system is compromised, it may be ineffective. This is why healthchecks are important at time of vaccine

Could a genetic predisposition be anything to do with it?
As you all know, I had 7 bunnies. Benji contracted full blown - PTS, Gabriel was in early stages of full blown but had to be PTS. Ghostie is suspected nodular and now Gabriel's brother has swollen eyes and I'm treating him as a suspected myxi case.

Could a genetic predisposition be anything to do with it?
As you all know, I had 7 bunnies. Benji contracted full blown - PTS, Gabriel was in early stages of full blown but had to be PTS. Ghostie is suspected nodular and now Gabriel's brother has swollen eyes and I'm treating him as a suspected myxi case.

Spice was bonded into a group & her sister never contracted it, that first time, but who knows?

Back